Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Any one used Imuran / Azathioprine before?
shell04937 posted:
Hi my name is Michelle/shell04937 and I used to visit this board when I first got my diagnosis of Sjogrens syndrome. It has been 5 1/2 yrs since diagnosis and until this past year I have been stable on Plaquinel 600mg daily. Last fall I was on Prednisone for my fevers and it took 6week to get off the prednison and I was supposed to go back on when fevers showed up again but I held of until last week. Anyways today I had a visit with my Rheumy and he perscribed Imuran 50mg daily. I am diabetic and Prednison is not good on my sugars so this is a trial alternative.
I am just wondering if anyone here has had experience with this med.
Thanks,
Shell

anowlin responded:
I have Sjogren's Syndrome in addition to lupus. My rheumie had me on 50 mg of Imuran daily (I think that was the dose) for about a year after I was diagnosed then I was tapered off. I think I had to have regular white blood cell count checks or SOME routine bloodwork as long as I was on Imuran, but I haven't taken it since 2003 or so.

shell04937 replied to anowlin's response:
I have to take my White Blood Cell Count in 3 weeks. I have been on Prednisone on and off all winter but having diabetes is not a good combo so we are trying Imuran.
Did the Imuran work? I just started today so it wll be a little while before we know if it is doing anything.
Thanks for responding.

staciecollett responded:
Hi Shell, I have been on Imuran since 2005, shortly after I was dx with Lupus. It has worked very well for me. My rheumy prescribed it specifically for my intestinal problems due to lupus attacking my GI tract. I hope it works well for you.

anowlin replied to shell04937's response:
Shelly, As far as, "Did the Immuran work?" I don't know what it was supposed to do and that's so abnormal for me not to know WHY I'm taking a med and HOW LONG it might be before I might see or notice a difference.But when the shoe falls on your foot, all objectivity goes "out the window."

Now that I'm no longer taking it, in retrospect it was effective in decreasing the aches. I don't have problems w/ blood sugar, though at the time, Prednisone was being tapered off and Imuran dose was steady.

msbrich50 replied to anowlin's response:
I have never used Imuran but I am currently taking Azathioprine and have been using it now for about 9 months. It does help somewhat with the pain though I seem to be having headaches which may or may not be due to the new medicine. I tend to have these sever headaches everyday but the neurologist thinks it is the lupus and not the medications.

I was on prednisone for about 10 years and have developed avascular necrosis because of the dosages and tapering off of it. I have it in my knees, hips and my tibia. Before using the azathioprine I was taking methotrexate but it did not help with the inflammation nor the pain. With the possible side effects I wanted to try something else, so far I don't have any problems and my Rheumy does run blood test about every 3 months.

shell04937 replied to msbrich50's response:
Imuran is just another name for Azathioprine. I am currently taking 50mg a day and am going to be starting my 3rd week on it tomorrow. I have headaches all time time so I will not know if the meds trigger them. Only strange thing I have felt this week is the tip of my nose is tingly like it gets when im in the middle of a migraine but head does not hurt less or worse when its happening. Other then that no strange side effects yet.
Good luck.

Cher56 replied to shell04937's response:
On my 3rd week of this med. So use to feeling better when on medications (anti biotics pain med). No idea what this is suppose to do..but I dont feel a bit different. I was recently diasgnosed as Crest/diffuse Scleredema. I have been sick for like 3 yrs before getting diagnosed. Maybe it will take some time to feel better? I am tired,itchy,swollen,pain and very depressed...I thought with all the issues I would be taking numerous drugs..

tammyhiles responded:
Azathioprine greatly improved my systemic lupus erthematous (SLE) symptoms. I have neurological involvement and before this medicine my right foot was paralyzed. I can now walk thanks to this. I had blood work and all my values are normal now which was not the case before. I do not have any side effects either. It has been a lifesaver for me.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
89 of 119 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.