Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
oral ulcers
squirmy1963 posted:
Hello, long time since I have posted here. If you remember me, you already know that my mom and I have Lupus. Very different symptoms, but still SLE.

She has the mouth ulcers and nose ulcers that never go away. They are large and all white. They recently did a biopsy and they are benign. One in her mouth, far back, is most painful. It was explained to her that it is near a bone and that is why it hurts so much.

I forgot how to look up old topics, so I have to ask, what is the best treatment? She takes plaquinel, and some gerd meds. Her doctor is not nearly as aggressive in her treatment of Lupus as mine.

Also hello to new members. Tina

lupylisa44 responded:
Hey Tina!

Good to see you back here!

When I get oral ulcers, I use triamincinalone in oral paste. Basically it is kenalog (steroid) in a past that is sort of thick and sticky,s which allows it to stay in your mouth much longer than other products that usually get washed away by saliva. You might tell your mom to ask her dentist if there are mouth rinses than may help her with the pain. Mine gives me a lidocaine rinse that really helps a lot! There are also some Rx anti-ulcer rinses (but I can't remember what they are called.)
This site may be of help:

http://www.mouthulcers.org/triamcinolone.html

To search for topics on this site there is a box on the uper right side that says "search this community."

Pleawse check in here more often! We have missed you!~

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

squirmy1963 replied to lupylisa44's response:
Thank you Lisa, this info will be very helpful to my mom. I copied and pasted this info and just e-mailed it to her. I know she has not tried these meds, so it's great there might be some relief for her.

I check in occasionally on this board, it's not like the old days, when a question was posted, you would get several responses in the next hour or so. I miss that.

I will check in more often, when I have something that I really need expert advice on, I come here.

My Lupus is under control at this time, I know you have been having some problems. How are you doing today?

thanks again, your help means a lot to me, Tina

staciecollett responded:
Hi Tina,

I get mouth sores too, my rheumy prescribed Folic Acid, I can take 1-5 tabs a day, whatever my magic number is, right now it's 2. There is also an Rx called "magic mouthwash", it's a rinse that can get to the sores where you can put the Rx " paste". I hope your mom gets some relief soon!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Calcium and womens' mortalityExpert
Recently, some studies have suggested that Calcium supplementation is associated with increase in heart attacks and strokes. However, this ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.