Skip to content
Sleep: What's That?
Christine Miserandino posted:
Lupus patients, like so many chronically ill patients, have a hard time sleeping. I know I am not the only one who always seems to be chasing the perfect sleepy dream. I wish getting a good night of sleep involved just one simple issue that is easily fixed. Wouldn't that be great? So many factors can cause insomnia, even for the healthiest people. Those of us who live with lupus have even more reasons to lose sleep.

Stress and lifestyle choices are two of the most common reasons many people have insomnia. Lifestyle choices such as setting a consistent bedtime routine, caffeine intake, and nutrition, can all cause disrupted sleep, or trouble falling asleep.

People who have lupus have many other factors that hinder getting a good night of sleep. Side effects from medications like steroids, night sweats, or pain can block any attempts to get some rest. Just thinking about all these sleep issues could keep me up all night!

I don't claim to be an expert on the subject of restful sleep, but I do have some sleep tips that have worked for me:

• If you take steroids or other medication that can interfere with your sleep, try taking your medication at a different time of day. Check with your doctor before you change the time you take your medication.

• Keep a notebook by your bed. If you have a lot on your mind at the end of the day, clear your head by writing your thoughts down on paper.

• If you take medicine that has the side effect of sleepiness, ask your doctor if it's ok to take the medicine at night. Use the side effect to your benefit.

• Try using a white noise machine to signal your brain that it's time to rest and go to sleep.

What are your best sleep suggestions? What works and doesn't work for you? Share you strategies for better sleep with the community. In the meantime, sweet dreams!
- Christine Miserandino

Lupylisa44 responded:
I have the opposite problem! I sleep just fine, it's waking up that is very difficult for me!!!
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hi,

I find setting a routine helps me best. I always take a relaxing shower, go to bed at the same time each night, read a book to help relax my mind and I take my meds that have a sleepy side effect at night as well.

Lisa

Christine Miserandino replied to Lupylisa44's response:
I can identify with you LupyLisa.. because although I have trouble falling asleep... Once I am asleep I have trouble waking up!
- Christine Miserandino

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Speaking of sleep -

Take our new Sleep Quiz - Why You Need Your ZZZ's to find more information about why a good nights sleep is so important for our health.

My test results- 64%. And the scorer adds - "Not bad, but you may want to take a nap and try again". I think I may just take this advice!

Looking forward to hearing more suggestions for a good night's sleep,
Elizabeth

2ndchance2live responded:
Well, I am off the ambien and going for the Camomile tea. This seems to work. Also heard Valerian Root capsules are great. I am only one night in to the ambien withdrawls. I slept pretty good last night.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.