Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
It's not the Cellcept!
Lupylisa44 posted:
After doing a little detective work, I have discovered why I was feeling so gross! It wasn't the cellcept that was making my feel sick, although it did irritate my tummy.

I am on hormone replacement therapy. I have also recently been taking narcotic pain meds for my neck pain. Apparently, opiates block the hormone receptors and the hormones were not getting into my system. It explains all of the symptoms I have had for the past two weeks or so. This would also explain why my thyroid test came back showing I needed to adjust my dosage-thyroid receptors are blocked too.

I was having all the "classic" symptoms of hormone imbalance and until I put it all together, I had no idea!!! All I know is I was feeling increasingly bad the longer I took pain meds.

It's very easy to see how unless you really know your own body, each of these symptoms could be something else unless you put them all together! I knew something was wrong especially since it was such a sudden onset of symptoms, some of which I didn't even realize were symtoms of anything at all!!!.

Here were my symptoms:
Hot Flashes, Flushes and/or Cold Flashes,
Hair Loss or Thinning,
Digestive Problems, Gastrointestinal Distress, constipation
Indigestion, Nausea, Low digestive motility
Sleep Troubles
Increase in allergies
Changes in Fingernails (cracking & breaking)
Bouts of Rapid Heart Beat
Anxiety, Feeling Ill at Ease
Gum Bleeding
low libido
Breast changes

I had all of these!!!

Now that I know, I am going to stop taking pain meds as much as possible so I can get back to normal...

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

MIBeth responded:
Hi Lisa,
I developed Graves Disease years ago and had my thyroid destroyed. I take replacements everyday, no big deal. Well this past year I've gained almost 30 pounds, have constant hot flashes (especially at night) and pretty much feel like a mess. I also take Plaquenil and Tramadol. I've been taking more pain meds this last year. Do you think the pain meds are counter acting the thyroid meds? I've already gone through menopause a year or two ago.

Lupylisa44 replied to MIBeth's response:
My pharamacist said it's entirely possible that opiates could blcok thyroid receptors as well as sex hormone receptors. But, Tramadol isn't a true opiate, so I don't know. If you are having hot flashes,and night sweats, you are probably still going through menopause. You should check into bio-identical hormone replacement. It will make you feel so much better.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

MIBeth replied to Lupylisa44's response:
Thank you Lisa! Since I've had blood clots and heart attacks, I can't take any meds for menopause. I'm always looking for organic ways to tame these flashes. I went through menopause, but in January, they had to remove my ovaries due to cancer. So, maybe it put me through menopause again. Having Lupus complicates everything! Can't do chemo, hormones, etc. The last straw was the thyroid thing. I just want to say that this board helps me so much with the suggestions and lets you know that you're not alone in these constant battles.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.