Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Low C4 (but C3 is normal)? really really confused please any advice
Jalee85 posted:
Hello I am new to this group. I technically have diagnosis of undifferentiated connective tissue disease. A mixture of Lupus/Scleroderma/ and SJorgens.
I had a new test done last time I saw a doctor she tested my C3 and C4 my C4 was low not horribly low but in the low range my C3 was normal my CRP was also mildly elevated.
I was just wondering everything I read says lupus it is usually your C3 & C4.
I"m just wondering what is the norm for people with Lupus low C4 means disease activity doesn't it I'm not seeing my rheum again until June 1st.
I have been chroncially sick since March of 2010. And have had other issues throughout the years I am a 25yr old female. and very confused?

David Zelman, MD responded:
C3 and C4 are blood proteins that are involved with the immune response. Lupus is a disease that involves immune hyprereactivity and thus levels of these proteins can be low in active lupus as they are consumed. C4 can be low without C3 also being low. Levels of these proteins are just a part of the overall assessment in lupus disease activity and by itself a low C4 does not necessarily mean active disease. Low C3 and C4 tends to be present with lupus kidney disease and widespread skin disease. Improvement with treatment often correlates with normalization of C3,C4
David Zelman MD

Jalee_85 responded:
Well this is me somehow I can't log on to my old account I don't get it.. always use the same e-mail but I had another blood test for complement level and the C4 was yet again low while the C3 was not low and I found what I wish I wold of found back when I asked this question..

Deficiency of certain complement molecules [especially C2, C4> increases the risk of developing SLE; these deficiencies run in families, ie can be inherited. Patients with active lupus erythematosus may have depressed levels of C3 and C4, and these component levels may be followed as a rough index of disease activity.

http://www.thelupussite.com/complem.html

nycorpsman responded:
Hi Jalee,

I too have been chronically sick since Spring 2009. I have low C4, mildly elevated ESR, CRP, and COMP 50 tests.

I have tried several times to get the doctors to take my complaints seriously but in vain. I usually have to get hospitalized with an acute flare before they'll even give me pain meds.

Just stay patient and try to document/take pics of any and all of your symptoms.

You are not not alone, and you aren't imagining your symptoms. Just stay vigilant

lupylisa44 replied to nycorpsman's response:
The post you replied to is more than a year old. I suggest you start a new discussion.
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

nycorpsman replied to lupylisa44's response:
I was searching for answers to my abnormal labs and found this online. Her story seems so similar to mine that I had to reply.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
93 of 123 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.