Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sulfa allergy and anti-malarials?
remalson posted:
Hi, my name is Erin and I am new here. I have been diagnosed for a year, but am now just starting to accept and manage my illness.
Fatigue is the worst part of lupus for me. I read that anti-malarials are good for fatigue, but my rhem is concerned about taking them with a life threatening allergy to sulfa drugs? Are any of you taking them with a severe sulfa allergy? Any reactions?
While my disease is not "severe" it has stopped me in my tracks. It has been complicated by not being able to take NSAIDs. We have difficulties finding meds that will not make me even more ill.

Thanks!

K2isKsquared responded:
Welcome Erin. Many lupies are allergic to sulfa. Not life threatening allergic, but sulfa makes many of us sick yet many lupies can tolerate Plaquinel.

Have you talked to your pharmacist about how Plaq would affect someone with your allergies? Obviously you aren't in a "trial and error" type situation!

Good Luck and keep posting

K2

David Zelman, MD responded:
That is a good question. An allergy to a sulfa antibiotic is usually to a specific sulfur containing compound and does not mean that you will react to hydroxychloroquine sulfate ( plaquenil). Wonder about what your life threatening rxn was and to what medication.... that might help clarify. I have not seen any information that specifically states that plaq cannot be sued in sulfa allergic patients.
David Zelman MD

nancyj95 responded:
I had a problem with the Plaquenil, but it wasn't the sulfa-turned out I have an allergy to quinine. I do take sulfasalazine with no ill affects, but my rhuemy won't let me take any sufa antibiotics-can too easliy cause a flare.

ReneeNF replied to nancyj95's response:
I also had a problem with the plaquenil, gave me bad sores in my mouth to where i couldnt even eat! My Rhuemy, has me on cellcept, highest does!! So far its good, but still probably have to do a kidney biopsy!! good luck

winelover24018 replied to ReneeNF's response:
I have a problem with mouth sores too. My pharmacist said my methotrexate can cause the mouth sores and my Rhuemy said it could also be from my Sjogren's. Didn't know about the Plaquenil. :)

heymiller replied to K2isKsquared's response:
Hi I'm new here, just be careful with the plaquneil. It helped me but ruined my retinas, I have permanent damage.
Terri

nancyj95 replied to ReneeNF's response:
I have been on Cell Cept for several years. Now on only 2 a day. Was on the highest for about a year, but have gradually tapered off. It really helped after I had a bad flre that lasted many months. It has kept the flares to minimal and ones I can handle. My rheumy says I'll be on it forever. Can't do much of anything else as I also have autoimmune hepatitis-rules out alot of drugs.

ReneeNF replied to nancyj95's response:
I was also on the plaquneil, gave me very bad mouth sores, and sores on my face. Switched to cellcept, which im on the highest does, but thankful i dont get the sores as much, and less painful. My rhuemy. gave litocane for when i do get mouth sores so I can eat.

allie_bf responded:
I am allergic to sulfa (i.e wheezing after sulfa based antibiotics,) but have never had problems with Plaquenil. It's been such a helpful drug for the fatigue that I'm so glad that it's never presented any problems. I don't take certain NSAIDs (e.g. Celebrex,) but can tolerate most of them.

remalson replied to David Zelman, MD's response:
I had an Anaphylaxis reaction to a sulfa drug given for an ear infection.

remalson responded:
I learned from a pharmacist in the hospital that there is no relation between sulfa antibiotics and Plaq. He said that my allergy in no way prevents me from trying Plaq.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.