Skip to content
What does Memorial Day mean to you?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
As a kid, I thought Memorial Day meant traveling to visit friends in South Carolina, grills blazing and the neighborhood pool opened up for the summer. Last weekend I asked a group of teens what it was, they just thought it was a day off.

What does Memorial Day mean to you?
Does your community have a parade or other type of celebration?
Do you fly a flag?
Are you traveling?
Are you planning or attending at party?

Elizabeth

MIBeth responded:
My son and daughter-in-law are Marines. My son has served 3 tours to the "sand box". For me, this is just an "extra-big-hug-and-kiss-day". I am a pround Marine Mom and will never let people forget why we have this day off. My son, who is a Master Sgt, was 2 trucks behind his men when the first truck hit an IED. He was thrown from his vehicle but not injured. He lost 2 of his Marines that day and to this day, still calls those families on a daily basis to make sure they are OK. That is what this country's Marines are made of. This is what the country needs to realize, that they give their lives and more and everyone should follow in their shoes!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to MIBeth's response:
Hi MIBeth,

Thank you for the sharing the real meaning of Memorial Day.

I think my six year old "got it" when we drove past the Memorial Mile, a street lined with over 6000 tombstones with the names of fallen soldiers from the Afgan and Iraq wars. She was able to understand this visual of how many people have died.

Wishing all a safe Memorial Day,
Elizaberth

renalupie1 responded:
memorial day always includes the cookout. But it always has included putting flags up around my place. I always go to the cemetary, put flowers on the graves of my parents. I always like seeing the fresh flag by my dad's stone....

It is funny, my dad was nuts about our yard looking pristine for memorial day weekend. I never understood why. But he always made sure us kids mowed and trimmed extra better on the weekend before the holiday. so, when I got home yesterday, my son hadn't mowed the yard, so I got out there and started mowing and taking the extra time to make it nice. When my son got home, he knew exactly what I was doing, and pitched in and we got it looking great. I feel like that is just something I can do to keep my memory alive of dad.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to renalupie1's response:
What a great tribute to your dad - the tradition continues.

Hope you enjoyed the day!

Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.