Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Zelman
MarySings posted:
In the late summer of 2002, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was tender in all of the trigger points.

About two years ago I was diagnosed with drug-induced lupus. I was on minocycline at the time for roseaca with acne. If I remember correctly, I had taken minocycline for nearly three years. After stopping the drug, my rhuematologist put me on plaquenel and my double strand dna count went from 385 to 90.

For the past few months I have had extreme pain in both elbows, forearms, wrists, and fingers. When I get up in the morning, my fingers are very swollen and it takes several hours for them to return to normal. I also have the butterfly rash on my face again.

My question is this: is it possible that my drug-induced lupus could develop into systemic lupus?

Thanking you in advance,
Mary

MarySings responded:
bump

David Zelman, MD responded:
good question; hopefully it will regress as the medication causing it is discontinued. You may in fact actually have lupus but that is a question your treating physician could best answer. Often drug induced lupus is associated with a particular antibody called anti - histone antibody
David Zelman MD

lisaisweavebee replied to David Zelman, MD's response:
Hi Mary and Welcome to the board!

There was a time when I thought I might have drug induced lupus as well (and sometimes still wonder if I do) because I have been on beta-blockers for over 30 years.

Anyway, here is a link from the lupus foundation of America that talks in length about drug induced lupus and how to tell the two apart. I thought you might find it helpful.

Keep posting and let us know how you progress!

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_aboutaffects.aspx?articleid=377&zoneid=17

Lisa

MarySings replied to lisaisweavebee's response:
I had been taking minocycline for several years and then developed the drug-induced lupus. After being off that antibiotic for a year my lupus symptoms went away and the DNA testing showed a reduction in the DS-DNA count.

For the past three months I have intense pain in my elbows, forearms, wrists, and fingers. When I get up in the morning my fingers are swollen and I can't make a fist. The tops of my hands are also swollen. After about an hour the swelling subsides. The pain never goes away. I also have the lupus butterfly rash. I should have seen my doctor long before now but I am dealing with far too many things that I kept putting it off. Now that I have the rash on my face I am glad I have an appointment for this week.

I see my rhuemetologist Thursday morning. Thank goodness! I will check in and let you know what she tells me.

Thank you for the link. I think I had been to that website before but it is written very well and easy to read and understand.

Mary

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.