Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Achieving Your Dreams and Goals When You Have Lupus
Christine Miserandino posted:
Did you think you had to give up everything you dreamed about when you learned you had lupus? I know I did. I was scared. I didn't know anyone else who had lupus, and I wasn't sure what to expect would happen to my life. I think it is normal to be afraid of the unknown.

I learned that I could achieve my dreams; they just might need to be slightly different than what I first thought they might be. Maybe I wasn't going to be a mom of a huge family, but being a mom of one is perfect for me. I always loved to dance, and although I may not be a professional dancer, maybe one day I will help out at my daughter's dancing school. You can still gain the same joy from things that brought passion to your life before lupus.

A helpful trick I've learned to use is to take steps by creating a group of smaller, more achievable goals, instead of one huge, overwhelming goal. This way, I am able to feel a sense of pride when I get things done, but I do not have to wait until a larger task is finished. I will clean out one closet at a time, instead of attempting to clean the entire house. In fact, I sometimes have to clean one shelf at a time -- but eventually, each goal is achieved!

You also can work with your doctor, and hopefully have manageable flares or periods of remission that will allow you to work toward achieving your dreams and goals.

How do you feel about your dreams or goals since receiving a lupus diagnosis? How have your dreams or goals changed? Tell others in the community how you work toward realizing your dreams and goals.
- Christine Miserandino

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.