Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My update
MarySings posted:
I saw my rhuematologist today. I told her about the arm and hand pain, face rash, etc. and she thinks I may have lupus now. I also took pictures of my hands with my cell phone so she could see that they are red at the joints and very swollen in the morning. She said they were still swollen when I saw her around 11. They hurt all the time now. She also told me that both of my elbows and knees were swollen.

I was sent to the lab where they took 11 vials of blood. I had to crawl to the car ... nah! just kidding about the crawling!

She told me that she will call me next week with the results.

So I will be patient. She gave me Naproxen and hopes that will help the inflamation. I hope it helps, too.

Mary

gringa1 responded:
Hi Mary, just last week I saw my rhuematologist, I went without foundation/ makeup so she can see what I've been telling her about the redness and especially my forehead, feels like its on fire. I also pointed out to her that I'm losing hair esp. my eyebrows.
She also noticed swelling on my hands and feet.
She also gave me a lab slip for more blood work.
I asked her if my lupus is mild or severe and she was quick to say mild from my previous numbers.
I also told her my eyes severely dry, and my mouth, it feels cut up on my pallet and I sometimes have difficulty swelling food or liquid and it is very painful at times. She said she was going to put a request for me to see a gastrointeralogist, waiting on that referral.
I'm surprised your doc has not put you plaquenil, thats what I'm on.
God Bless you you and keep posted :)

MarySings replied to gringa1's response:
Gringa, it seems we have several things in common! I'm glad you answered my post.

My former rhuematologist put me on plaquenil and did not do any follow-up blood work and did not tell me to see my eye doctor. The result was I was plaquenil for longer that 18 months. I changed to a new rhuematologist who got angry at the old one and immediately took me off the plaquenil. She sent me to my eye doctor after I had trouble reading the eye chart in her office. I now have 20/30 vision in one eye and 20/60 vision in the other eye. I should have taken him to court but my word against his - I figured he would win. I don't think my current rhuemy will put me on plaquenil.

I also did not wear makeup yesterday. That was a big help for my dermatologist and my rhuematologist. My rhuemy, MissD, said my entire face was red and she did see the raised rash on my upper cheeks but not so much on my nose. She is concerned about lupus and can't figure out if it is drug-induced or SLE. She told me that the blood work will help her make an accurate diagnosis.

I have sores on the sides of my tongue. I have swelling in tissues and joints. I am extremely tired. I get light-headed sometimes...the last time was last weekend and when I was trying to catch myself, my leg hit the corner of the closet door. I have a bruise that is 4 inches across and 7 inches long. I've also fainted twice (for no reason) in the past 3 months.

I told MissD that I won't wait so long to make an appointment and she said that was good thinking.

I'll keep you updated.
Mary

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
91 of 121 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.