Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lupus Flares: Can They Be Avoided? How Do You Handle a Flare?
Christine Miserandino posted:
You know your body best, so once you figure out what may trigger a lupus flare, the obvious measure to take is to avoid your individual triggers at all costs.

But as we all know, we each have a life to lead, and that includes the daily responsibilities that come with it. None of us can live in a bubble! To state it simply, there may be certain situations when your options are limited, and you aren't able to avoid something that may trigger a lupus flare. That's pretty much a fact of life for anyone who has lupus.

The most dreaded situation is when you truly feel that you are doing everything right -- you take your meds, you follow all the "lupus rules," and you still find yourself in the middle of a flare. That's an incredibly frustrating situation for me. How about you?

When learning to live with lupus, it is best to realize that flares are going to happen, so knowing how to "ride the wave" is the best thing to do. Here are some tips I have found that work for me:

1. I do what I can to avoid my known triggers.

2. I consistently take my medicine.

3. I rest and avoid stress whenever possible.

4. When I feel a flare coming on, I see my doctor right away. I have found that avoiding it or putting off the visit only makes it worse.

5. I also try to take care of the rest of my body, so that outside of my lupus, I am as healthy as I can be. For example, if I get a cold, I take care of it right away. I get my eyes examined. I see my dentist for checkups. In other words, I take care of the "maintenance" items on a regular basis.

6. I have learned to ask for help when I need it.

7. I know I must have patience and faith in knowing that a flare is only temporary. I remind myself that even though I may be in the middle of a flare right now, with my doctor's help, it will soon pass, and I will feel better.

These are 7 things that help me avoid and handle flares. Let's help each other by creating a top ten list. What 3 tips do you have you add? No matter how long you have been living with lupus, you can always learn something new! Share your individual strategies for avoiding lupus flares, and what you do when one strikes.
- Christine Miserandino

shannielee74 responded:
1. I try and find time every day to do some kind of exercise. Some days it's just using my 1lb weights for some arm curls or walk a lap around my floor of the apartment building. It isn't major, but it helps to lift my mood.

2. I also find something that will make me laugh. Laughter releases the 'happy' endorphins in your brain and helps you to cope with stress. Put in a dumb, yet funny movie like "National Lampoon's Vacation" or "Wild Hogs" and laugh the day away.

3. The last thing I do is meditation. I have found, after years of struggling with mental health issues, that to take a few minutes each day and just find my 'happy place' and zone lifts my moods and centers me for those really rough days.
Shannielee74 ~~~Life is what happens when your busy making other plans...John Lennon~~~

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.