Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. Zelman- Question
Lupylisa44 posted:
Do you know of any contraindications of a person with lupus getting botox injections for severe neck pain and torticollis?

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

David Zelman, MD responded:
I am not sure about botox injections for torticollis or neck pain overall and would wonder about the eveidence supporting this. No especial problems for SLE patients that I would anticipate
David Zelman MD

Lupylisa44 replied to David Zelman, MD's response:
Thanks for your answer. I was worried about complications from the drug due to being immunosuppressed.

Since I have tried everything else for my neck spasms (diagnosed as torticollis) (RF neurotomy, diskectomy, facet injections,) with no lasting relief, my new physiatrist thinks I may benefit from botox injections and more physical therapy.

I have postponed my appointment for getting the botox injections due to the injury I sustained on Sunday. I figured it would be best to wait until it was healed before trying any new procedures.

My cousin has chronic spasmodic torticollis and she went for years with no relief until she started the botox injections. She said it's a miracle drug for her! I really hope it provides some relief for me as well!

Here is a link:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1818592-overview

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.