Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Which Doctor would you believe???
avatar
lisaisweavebee posted:
So I had a odontogenic keratocyst removed from my right maxillary sinus that had destroyed a good deal of bone. I am told they are very aggressive and tend to come back. My cheek on that side has been swelling some, so I see my PCP and he orders a CT scan.

The radiologist report says she sees "something" in the maxillary sinus but is unable to tell if it is scar tissue or the cyst growing back. She gives the measurements of the "something" and where it is located. Recommends I repeat the CT scan in the near future to look for changes.

PCP sends me back to the ENT surgeon who removed the first cyst. He does not read the report (even though I hand it to him) but does look at the CT scan quickly that I brought on disc. He tells me everything is fine - that there is nothing there. I ask about the radiologist report and he says he doesn't know why she would say that because the sinus is empty. He tells me he reads these all the time (and a radiologist doesn't???) and I do not need another CT any time soon. He doesn't know why my cheek is swelling. Tells me to see him back in 4 months.

Who would you believe?? The radiologist who does this for a living or the ENT who looks at nothing but sinus cavities all day???

Thanks,

Lisa

Take the Poll

Who do I believe?
  • Radiologist?
  • ENT?
  • Go Back to PCP and make him decide who to follow?
vote
View Poll Results
Reply
 
avatar
K2isKsquared responded:
Cake Lady,
I'm sorry this nightmare is continuing with the swelling popping up. I think you simply have to get the follow up CT -- and hope it shows no change. Take Care.

Hugs

K2
 
avatar
lisaisweavebee replied to K2isKsquared's response:
Thanks for the advice K. I suppose that would be the prudent approach to take.

Sigh, I just wish the numbing would leave my mouth. First no smell/taste - now constant tingling and swelling.

Lisa
 
avatar
David Zelman, MD responded:
the answer is probably to wait and see how you do clinically and then decide later about the CT. Radiologists tend to read more into a film. If you do not do well then call the ENT before the 4 month period
David Zelman MD
 
avatar
lisaisweavebee replied to David Zelman, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. Z for the advice! I'll see how I get along these next few weeks and go from there.

Lisa


Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
92 of 122 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.