Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How can environmental factors trigger Lupus Please help me understand
LupieTonya posted:
I understand that we quite don't know how Lupus is caused. But what I don't understand is when articles or DRs tell you that sometimes it could be caused by environmental factors. One article I just read is saying that in some cases it may be as simple as aromatic products in the air, simple exposure to hair coloring products, cigarette smoke or even some preservatives in food, can create a full blown episode of lupus symptoms.

I read that and say HUH. Those seem to simple for this huge disease. Not saying any of those things triggered my lupus or didn't, but my mother smoked with me and around me all my life. I have dyed my hair and my mothers hair TONS of times and well we all eat food LOL.

Do any of you have a better explanation for me? Or maybe explain it better. I can understand how genetics could be a factor better then the environmental factors. Like I get environmental factors with Cancer, usually the person is around radiation or cigarette smoke or they smoke themselves and other environmental factors. Some reason I understand that better for cancer than for Lupus....Not sure why but I do.

I thought this article was really interesting...Some things I didn't even know...maybe it might help someone else. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/213356/how_lupus_is_affected_by_the_environment.html?cat=70

But Im still confused with all the environmental factors....

David Zelman, MD responded:
Some environmental factors are more established than others. Clearly the evidence for ultraviolet light exposure is the most clear and it is thought that it causes changes in DNA that make it more susceptible to immune response. Also some drugs are associated with lupus like disease. The link for some of the others you mentioned ( hair dye and foods) is not clear and like you say hard to understand.
David Zelman MD

LupieTonya replied to David Zelman, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. Zelman.

Sometimes I just confuse myself more when I try to understand this disease. I was trying to see if I was able to find connections to the cause and a flare. See I don't quite know what my flares are.

I think I might be experiencing one or maybe a start of one from some of the few cues I have found on flares. My symptoms currently have been for the last 2 weeks: dizzy, nauseous, upset stomach, blurred vision, headaches, stiff and sore hands/fingers/knees/, sore muscles in my arms & legs, hives on my fingers and hands that come and go, and now tonight I noticed these small bumps on my lip.

Right now Im in between Drs. My Rhemy Dr moved to Colorado (which he had only seen me about 7 months) and I got a new one I seen only once and now I see a different one next month because of scheduled issues. On top of that it doesn't help that I don't have a primary Dr either.

But other then all that stuff Im doing alright, I'm getting married in 2 months.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.