Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Exercise poll
Lupylisa44 posted:

Is anyone out there like me? I absolutely hate to exercise!!! In fact, I think I am allergic to it!!! Its so difficult to start or stick with exercising! Add in the daily pain from lupus and/or fibro, and it makes exercising even less appealing than it was before!

Everytime I try something to help get me in shape, I end up hurting myself!

For example: I got a gym memebrship years ago and nearly killed myself when someone assembled the weight machine incorrectly and it came down on my head!

I got an inversion table to help me stretch more and ended up with an ER visit for a hip sprain. (apparently I have hyper elastic cartilage,tendons and ligaments)

Then I tried small 5 lb dumbells which worked wonderfully for a while, but I ended up hurting my shoulder. Turns out I had a pre-existing tear in my rotator cuff from playing tennis as a kid.

Horseback riding was great and I did it several times a week for several 5 years. I leased a horse for $500 for an entire season (May- Oct) But thenmy horse died and the prices started to go up to $800 the $ 900 per season, so I gave it up.

I love swimming and am a very strong swimmer, but am afraid of all the germs and goo in public pools. Lat time I went to a public pool I got a rash on my back from whatever chemicals they used. Since I don't have enough $$$ to join a club with a pool, I gave that up too.

Luckily for me, I was blessed with a high metabolism and a good figure. I have been skinny my whole life, so I never really had to exercise (at least not on purpose!) But as I get older, things are shifting around and I am starting to gain weight, and my legs have lost all shape (think flamingo legs) Here I am trying to figure out what to do about exercise.

What kind of exercise seems to work for you?

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Take the Poll

What kind of exercise do you do?
  • Exercise? What's that?
  • Walking/hiking
  • Running/biking
  • Gym/weights
  • something else (please elaborate)
vote
View Poll Results

leecat41 responded:
I "joined the gym". So far, the only thing that has lost weight is my wallet. lol But I am building up.

Octoberschild responded:
Four days a week I chase after my 18 month old grandson. Is that exercise? lol I use to love going to the gym and having a good work out. Since my life spiraled out of control, first with the death of my husband, being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, then being told a short time later I had Lupus. Losing my husband to cancer was enough for me to deal with. Then having all the aches,pains, heart problems, digestive problems, dizzy spells, and you name it I was doing it. I thought it was caused by all the stress I was under during my late husbands cancer journey. That's what triggered the Lupus to show it self! With all that I fell away from the gym, gained way too much weight (eat my self to death with comfort foods), and pretty much don't have the drive to get up and go again. I keep saying I'm going to start swimming laps again. It's just a matter of finally pushing myself to do it. I too seem to have an allergic reaction to exercise! lol

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
To quote Lupylisa "Add in the daily pain from lupus and/or fibro, and it makes exercising even less appealing than it was before!"

I am sure all of you can agree and wanted to pass along this information regarding lupus and exercise -

Exercises for Lupus
Fighting Lupus Fatigue and Boosting Energy

Does anyone else have exercise/lupus frustrations? Have you experienced an improvement in symptoms when you do exercise?

Elizabeth

garvin3 responded:
I love Jazzercise. I attended 4 or 5 classes each week. I can pace myself when I am really tired -- boosts my energy level and there are great ladies to visit with each day! (helps with stress and depression, too)

An_240164 responded:
I hate exercise too and the only thing I can make myself do is
aerobic dance. Unfortunately, even though I try to be careful,
any kind of exercise that is worth doing stirs things up in my
body and I have increased pain for the next two days. The
only thing that doesn't is walking, but I can only do that in warm weather since I break out in hives from cold temperatures. Sometimes I think my body is telling me exercise is not such a good idea for me, but I know that's not true. It's very important.

mountainmommom replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Elizabeth, my pain issues are worse after I exercise but I know there are benefits too, so I keep doing them....just not as often as I should.

wendymp replied to mountainmommom's response:
Hi! I started taking an Arthritis Foundation aquatics class at a local physical therapy center. It is wonderful! The water is 96` and we do range of motion exercises. I do that two days a week. Then they offered a Tai Chi class through the Arthritis Foundation. I know I am definitely not the most graceful one in the class. Lol! But it gets me moving and it is very calming. Both programs have helped me improve my balance. There has been no weight loss with either of these but it does get me out of the house and socializing and moving my muscles!

take care,
wendy

TNDixChix responded:
I do my own routine of streching exercies. I can do them laying on my bed so it doesn't hurt my back and hips like the floor. My neck, shoulders, heck everything stays very tight so if I make myself do these fairly regularly it really helps me a lot.

lupiesuzy responded:
I love working out when I can. I've always been a little chunky and I have to really watch my weight. If i can exercise consistently for about a week I start to feel fabulous! Almost what I would imagine a normal person feels like. Unfortunately I am a manager at a department store and I work INSANE hours, so exercising consistently is a problem. I walk on a treadmill or outside if it's cool enough, also weights and yoga.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Music Video Tips on Managing Chronic Pain!
My newest music video, hope you guys like it! HUGS and ?, JJ "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.