Skip to content
lupus or not?
channelgrace posted:
I just came from the doctor where I went for "confirmation" of a positive ANA test I received from my doctor. This doctor today told me that the repeat ANA was negative but the dsDNA test was positive, a 15 - with 5-10 being positive for autoimmunity. I have been having a great deal of pain in my hands, thumbs especially, and even underwent hand surgery last year hoping it would help. I only had the pain in that hand at the time. Now I have pain in both, with the one that was operated on now locking - trigger finger they call it I guess. I don't have other symptoms like a rash. My symptoms are only in my joints and hands/tendons and I am tired a lot. It is extremely frustrating because I feel like something is attacking my body and I can't seem to find out for sure what the problem is and how to stop it. This new doctor gave me something that is supposed to treat lupus, although he did say he couldn't give me a lupus diagnosis because i don't have many of the relevant symptoms. what a puzzling disease this is! My question is: what else could this be that gives me these positive lab results, and the tendon/joint pain? I've been looking on the web and came up with a couple of things that don't match at all so I am hoping I can get some suggestions here. Thanks for your help.

channelgrace responded:
also, I am 51 female and have been in good health until the last couple of years. In 2005 I had a partial thyroidectomy to remove a cold nodule but the thyroid hormones are okay by lab tests. another question is that i work in science, in an infectious disease lab so this is concerning to me as well, will i have to stop working at this company or not...not sure what to think as this is all a surprise.

pennbird responded:
Same thing happened to me. Neg ANA pos DNA. Recently done again post ANA and post DNA 8 -indeterminate. Sed rate and CRP normal.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
93 of 123 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.