Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Shingles
lupylisa44 posted:
Imagine having seering pain on your skin (think how it would feel if someone put cigarettes out on your skin while at the same time having a deep, stabbing, throbbing, constand ache underneath)

This is the 20th time since 1990 that I have had shingles!!! My last episode was about 6 years ago. I forgot how much they hurt!!! Each time I get them, they show up in a difffernt place! This time it is on the front of my neck and chest by my shoulder blade. The rash is less severe than in the past, but the burning and deep pain is worse!!!

This is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Thank goodness for pain meds!!!

I'm going to keep smiling...fake it 'til you make it, right?

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Take the Poll

Have you ever had shingles?
  • yes, just once
  • yes, more than one time
  • no
vote
View Poll Results

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hey Lisa,

Sorry you are having to deal with shingles again...wow, 20 times!! I can't imagine!

Hope you get relief soon,

Lisa

K2isKsquared responded:
Sorry Lisa

Take care,

K2

TomB11 responded:
20 times in 20 years, holy cow!. I am in the final throes of my first, started about a month ago. 2 Tylenol 3 times a day seems to work best for me, percocet doesn't seem touch it.
Take care

lupylisa44 replied to TomB11's response:
Hi Tom!
Sorry to hear you have the dreaded shingles! Don't they just suck? You are lucky that tylenol works for you! I am taking 2 Norco 10/325, 4 times a day and it seems to be working okay. It is also helping with my torticollis and neck pain which I have been dealing with for a very long time, so its nice to be able to keep my head straight (literally) for a change! The dose seems high especially since I am 5'4" and ~105 lbs, but I have some weird enzyme ( or lack therof) that makes me a fast metabolizer of pain meds and anaesthesia. Even when I go to the dentist I need 10 times as much lidocaine as a normal person.

I hope your shingles and the pain go away soon!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

TXDIYGal responded:
Dear Friends;
For anyone suffering from shingles, cutaneous lupus outbreaks or post-herpetic neuralgia!!! There is a TREATMENT! I was just given a treatment last month at the VA hospital in San Antonio, TX that is a patch that is applied for an hour, to the area that persistently breaks out. It is called Qutenza patch and is an 8% capsaicin medicated patch. They numb the area first, which is necessary because the patch would burn incredibly if not, and basically it short circuits the nerve endings that cause the pain.

I was understandably dubious about the treatment. How could a patch stop this incredible pain I was having?! I mean, this pain was like having a constant 2nd degree burn on my back for up to two weeks at a time! I couldn't even stand wearing anything but the loosest clothes and the only thing that helped was ice packs. Pain medicine did not even help, it just enabled me to be able to go to sleep, not really to get rid of the pain, just dull it for a while. This patch is a MIRACLE!!

On the way home from the hospital, the numbness wore off and my back was ON FIRE, so I will definitely ask for a Lidocaine patch to wear home the next time but I WILL do it again when the treatment wears off. It lasts an average of three months. For me, this is an incredible breakthrough and for anyone else who has this type of pain I highly recommend it! If you have suffered through the pain of constant fire on your skin, you will not be able to believe the relief of no more burning.

Since my rash was cutaneous lupus I did not develop blisters of shingles but my husband does get shingles and he has scars from all the breakouts that he has had. I can not imagine his pain since he has been suffering from it for years and I have only suffered for a year now. I have a new sense of empathy for him! So-PLEASE ask your doctor about this patch and find one who has been TRAINED or who can get the company trained personnel to come to their office to administer the treatment. It is well worth it and you will finally experience some relief without DRUGS! I hope this helps some of you out there.
Docs Gal

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.