Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
lupus
leecat41 posted:
Is it normal for your rheumy to treat you for lupus even though you have a negative ANA?

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hi,

Yes, if he feels your symptoms are such that he suspects it. I've had positive ANAs and negative ones over the years and he has never changed his course of care for me as a result.

Lisa

sadi23 replied to lisaisweavebee's response:
Hell-o It took a long time for my diagnoses, I finally did in my early 20's i often have a neg. ANA. but i am now 52 and have many secondary medical conditions, I am now very ill. I am in kidney Failure, and last month diagnosed with Diabetes. So I would let them treat you, so you don;t get sicker, as there are many of us with neg. ANA. but we DO have Lupus and many more issues due to it. I wish I was treated years before, maybe I wouldn't be so ill now. other doctors will try to say you don't have Lupus down the road, if they don't think out of the box, move on to a new doc. as our doctors need to listen and think out of the box, to truly serve us well. Good luck teri

Aliceblu replied to sadi23's response:
I am ANA neg or at least was last check. Took three years for diagnosis and it almost destroyed my life

I have other antibodies and symptoms finally diagnostic about 8 months ago

The plaquinil has changed my life as far as being able to function. My pain is reduced and my fevers tend to suck less. I feel better Ina general systemic way.

I actually am working now and got a job at apple. I still flare but so far nothing like before unless I'm off meds for some reason. Then watch out!

Good luck

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
92 of 122 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.