Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Words of Encouragement
pensivepurplebutterfly posted:
Just wanted to share something that occurred at work. A coworker who knows very little of my health issues or that i have Lupus said something to me that got me thinking: Am i being too hard on myself? He is just aware of my heath issues by seeing my physical changes over the last two years, and from brief conversations of my kidney issues recently. He just said i have to give it to you for still pushing and coming to work eventhough you have been having health issues. and he said i really mean it because sometimes people breakdown and i know it has been rough for you but im glad you have not given up. I was a bit shocked i guess i forsee my strength and dont give myself enough credit. He made me realize it at that moment because it was coming from a person who barely knows my situation.

pensivepurplebutterfly responded:
meant DOUBT my strength********

anowlin responded:
It took FOREVER for me to realize my limitations and live with them. I mean REALLY understand and live by them. The person who is 'the enforcer, the reminder?' My husband. He's always telling me that I'm too hard on myself and I don't let myself off the hook enough.

Please listen to your coworker, but also listen to your conscience. You know what you need to do to keep yourself healthy (heart, lungs, etc). He, like my husband may have a feeling that you can coast through life, never taking care of yourself. Lupus is one of those diseases that doesn't grant you the luxury of taking the low road of never watching your diet (especially with your renal involvement), brushing your teeth, never exercising.

That's my unsolicited advice.

Christine Miserandino responded:
http://www.thespoontheory.com HI!

It is so funny, just the other day my mother said to me "Christine, maybe it is not lupus this time... maybe it is allergies." It made me laugh because I think that I always assume it is lupus. She made me laugh because her allergies have been driving her nuts, giving her headaches and making her tired. She reminded me that we all have bad days, and with lupus I must have it harder then most because I have to deal with that too. She reminded me to give myself credit!

I sometimes remind myself that doing one thing is still better then nothing. There are times when brushing my teeth is the only thing I feel like I got done that day!

But the other days, when I push through and get a lot done, I feel good. We lupus paients have to deal with more then most, so yes I agree... we do need to pat ourselves on the back every now and then!

With Love and Spoons,
Christine

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.