Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Which is Worse?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Which is worse, the fatigue or the pain? How do these impact your daily life?

Elizabeth

lisaisweavebee responded:
The quickest way to get me down for the count is the fatigue. I can stand a lot of pain and I have pain meds to help. Unfortunately, there is no pill for fatigue and when it hits, it is horrible.

Lisa

Kat_bet responded:
I must agree with Lisa. There is nothing that takes care of the fatigue, and that's what makes it hard to work. While pain can keep me up and make me tired, it's not the same as the fatigue. There doesn't seem to be a way to work through that.

lupylisa44 replied to Kat_bet's response:
It's kind of a double edged sword for me. Being in pain all of the time can be both physically and emotionally draining and can cause fatigue in it's own right as well as depression. Dealling with fatigue is very difficult to be sure, but I think having pain 24/7 is worse.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lisaisweavebee replied to lupylisa44's response:
True, the constant pain is a problem, but it doesn't seem to take the mental toll on me that fatigue does. With pain, mentally, I know it's just a matter of getting the right dose of pain meds to help take the edge off. In other words, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But with fatigue, I never know how long it's going to last....a few hours? A few days? A week?? That not knowing is what I find so hard to handle mentally and emotionally.

Lisa

Christine Miserandino responded:
HI Elizabeth,

For me I find the fatigue is worse. I can take medication for the pain, or mentally deal with it but there doesn't seem to be any medication that deals with the fatigue. As a mother all my energy goes to my daughter and when I can't do what she wants, or when I can't participate in playing as much as I would like to it is upsetting. Then after she goes to sleep for the night to fit in laundry, dishes, etc. I am exhausted! Being a mom is the hardest job in the world, but having lupus makes it harder.

With love and spoons ,
Christine

dmcloughlinn replied to Christine Miserandino's response:
hi my name is Dolores I was with lupus a year ago. I am a mom too of a 8 year old girl. so, I know how you feel. I always worry what will happen to my little one if something happens to me. I am in treatment taking medications. I am doing good but you know how it is the the pain fatigue and all the other stuff come and go. Good luck to you.

ida507 replied to Christine Miserandino's response:
for me its the burning, this burnig is so bad and the dizziness is so tiring. This has been going on sents the beging og May and Im tired Im so readu for some relief. Is it normal for a flare to last this long?

ida507 responded:
is anybody on here anymore? I see posts but they seem to be from 10mths to over a year ago. I had my first infusion of benlysta today. I am still extremly dizzy. the fatigue is awful the pain is getting worst. i take a sleeping pill but dont feel rested. This Has been going on now for over two mths. any help out there??
ida507

SafariMom replied to ida507's response:
Ida,

I just joined this forum, and wondered if anyone wrote on here anymore. What is belysta?
Are you at home or do you have to work a lot?
Is there stress or other things that could keep your mind up instead of resting? I have already found that these things effect me. Hang in there.

Bonnie

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
92 of 122 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.