Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
lupus and hysterectomy
leecat41 posted:
Do women with lupus have a higher rate of hysterectomy? I have to have one on Oct 12 and they don't think they can save my ovaries. I've noticed several members on here with that type of problem and just wondered if the lupus was a factor. Does lupus affect the recovery?
To do what is right is not always easy, to do what is easy is not always right.

Lupylisa44 responded:
I don't really know the answer to that question, but I do know that a whole bunch of lupies get endometriosis which wouold probably lead to a hysterectomy.

I'm going in for my pap in november. Every year it is the same thing-an abnormal pap, colposcopy, follow-up. This year if my pap is abnormal I am ordereing the doc to take my uterus out!!! I don't need it, nor do I want another health problem weighing on my mind!

If they take out your ovaries, you will be literally thrown into post menopause. It could be really hard to deal with, I know it was for me when I lost ovarian function due to cytoxan. You might want to talk to your doctor about HRT. A lot of people say it's a no no for lupus, but I disagree. I have been on it a very long time and it has improved the quality of my life greatly!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

leecat41 replied to Lupylisa44's response:
Thanks! I have severe scarring on my ovaries so it's uncertain, but they have to do something because I'm at the point where I may have to have a transfusion because my iron is so low and doesn't seem to want to come back up. I will ask my doctor about the HRT.

renalupie1 replied to leecat41's response:
I had a hysterectomy last year. Adenomyosis was my official diagnosis. I managed to keep one ovary, but it kind of shut down for a few months with the stress of surgery. I had to take prozac until spring to help with the depression.

I struggled with losing my uterus, losing that last chance to have a child. Even though I was 43, we really struggled with the thought we couldn't have kids. And it is weird because of the adenomyosis, I couldn't have really had kids anymore anyway. but ripping out your pieces parts is hard on you mentally!

I would talk to them about HRT, pros and cons. It is a tough decision. Listen to your gut instinct and YOUR body. I recovered very quickly from my surgery. I was back to work ten days after it (not supposed to but I don't "sit" well.)

hystersisters is an AWESOME website. I joined it, and it is safe. Very good information.

Rena

deewalt2911 responded:
Hello, I do not know if women with lupus have a higher rate of hysterectomy. However, I have lupus and I had a hysterectomy in 2007 and a oophrectomy in March of this year. Your next question is does the lupus affect the recovery; in my experience the lupus did not affect the healing of the wound itself I had a mild infection with both surgeries so the pain was great and the healing time was longer than normal. The most important thing to note is that with both surgeries the lupus was triggered and I had a flare up. I am not trying to scare you but juat to say keep a close watch and let the rheumatologist know about the surgery and your concerns. Discuss the upcoming surgery and have a back up plan in case of complications. All the best and I will pray for you.

leecat41 replied to deewalt2911's response:
I was so worried that the lupus would affect recovery that it never occurred to me that the surgery might affect the lupus!! I will take your advice on that! Thank ya'll so much for the information!

leecat41 replied to renalupie1's response:
I'm going to that website next. Thank you for sharing that!

leecat41 replied to leecat41's response:
Well, I had the hysterectomy. They were able to save my ovaries although they don't seem to be working anymore. My rash has come back and I've started running the low grade fever. So I'm trying to stay on top of my symptoms so that I will know which doctor to call. Thanks for all the information and advice. I love this website and the hystersisters!!

renalupie1 replied to leecat41's response:
Yah, it may take up to six months for the ovaries to "wake up" again. give it time. It it a trauma to them as well!! keep resting, keep behaving, keep eating healthy foods to heal properly. Hystersisters rock!! Lupus sisters rock too!!

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR replied to renalupie1's response:
This is a very informative post and discussion. Firstly, glad your surgery went well- sorry that your lupus is flaring. I agree with most of the discussion, don't know of any data to suggest that lupus patients have higher rates of hysterectomy. However, there may be an increased risk of endometriosis. In case the ovaries fail, the data suggests that hormone replacement therapy is relatively safe in lupus patients. Lastly, surgery can be very stressful on the body and may result in flares of lupus. I recommend that all patients see their rheumatologists in the pre-operative period. All the best.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.