Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can't stop itching :(
gringa1 posted:
Happy Sunday everyone,
I have lupus and fibromyalgia, I'm going on 2mo. my entire body won't stop itching, my body hurting and very sun sensitive, to the point were it feels like I have the flu.
I am currently taking hydroxychlor and cymbalta, diclofenac. I'm going to request for a new rhumy, my current one keeps telling I need to exercise, ( how can I when I'm not feeling good!).
So my question, what step to I take next as far as meds, what do I do to stop this itching, I also have been waking up with stiff and swollen joints.
How do I get through my doctors??
As far as taking cymbalta, what what better for fibro.
My right TMJ, I've had my bite adjusted, I noticed when my joints are swollen and hurting so does my tmj, and thats a son of a gun
Right I'm miserable, and no one really seems to understand cause I have a high pain tolerance and I don't stop till it's too late, and I know that is my fault.

Octoberschild responded:
I get the itching at times too. Only mine isn't an everyday issue. It will last 2 to 3 days then it's gone for awhile. Then.....out of the blue, it comes back. Are you taking any new medications? Did it start after you began taking a medication? Sometimes it can be a reaction to a drug. It was suggested to me that maybe it was a soap I was using either with bathing or in my laundry. Mine isn't a soap issue. Sometimes I get hives, which seems that there are others that get hives that have Lupus. I remember when my daughter was a little girl she'd get hives frequently. There would be times when she'd itch like crazy but no sign of hives. Only after I put her into a warm bath they'd come out. I have to wonder when I start itching if it isn't the same for me.

I hurt like crazy most days. I am allergic to so many medications that my doctor doesn't prescribe me anything for the pain other then a muscle relaxer. I was on a anti-inflammatory drug for some time. However when my Rhumy did my last panel of blood work up it showed that I had too much protein in my urine and that my kidney function wasn't what it should be. She took me off of the anti-inflammatory drug. I do my best to just cope with the pain on a daily basis. Some days I hurt so much I just lock myself in my room and stay away from others.

I read a great deal of books about Lupus so that I have a better understanding of this disease. There are some really good ones out there that you can either buy or check out at your local library. If you haven't read any of the books yet, might I suggest that you get one. You'll be amazed at how many of us share so many of the same things. Such as those of us that have Lupus also have Fibromyalgia. One of the books that was recommended for me to read was "The Lupus Book: A Guide For Patients and Their Families." This is a very informative book. I have given information to my family as well as books for them to read so that they are better informed of what I go through day to day. My daughter is now one of my biggest supporters. She has put a special page in my honor onto the Lupus Foundation of America's website. For my birthday last year all I asked of people that wanted to give me gifts, was that they make a contribution to the Lupus Foundation. I am doing the same thing this year! In fact my daughter has that on the page she set up in my honor and has asked that everyone we know support that foundation all year long.

This site is a great place to begin for support. There are usually support groups out there too that you can go to in your area. Contact the Lupus Foundation to see where the nearest chapter is in your area. The more I talk to people the more I find I know others that have Lupus too. It's one of those disease that is silent to others.

I keep a journal of everything that goes on with me. My pain level on a day to day basis. Hair falling out, bruising for no reason, or anything new that comes up. Then I take it with me to my Rhumy appts so I can go over all these things with her. Sometimes when I tell her things, she'll say "that doesn't surprise me as your Lupus progresses." I love my Rhumy.....she's the best!!! I think having a Rhumy you like and trust is also key to you feeling better. If you can't get your doctor to listen to you maybe it's time to find a new one that you are better fitted with? Just a thought!
Of one thing I am certain, the body is not the measure of healing - peace is the measure. by George Melton

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.