Skip to content
very confused
lupichug posted:
I finaly got to go see a ruhmy and he took some blood and told me that my ANA was neg. But My reg Dr. has taken blood every 3 mos for the past 1 1/2 yrs and it had always came back Pos. So I asked my Ruhmy if it was in remission and he said no Lupus doesnt go into remission. So I am very confused it just went away? Has any one else ever had this happen?

nancyj95 responded:
I THOUGHT IT COULD GO INTO REMISSION, BUT NOT SURE. MY BLOOD WORK WAS NEGATIVE ONCE THIS YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MORE THAN 15 YEARS. MY RHEUMY WAS PLEASED, BUT DIDN'T INDICATE THAT I NO LONGER HAVE LUPUS AND MEDS REMAIN THE SAME. WITHIN 2 MONTHS I WAS FEELING BETTER FOR THE FIRST TIME IN OVER A YEAR.

shannielee74 responded:
I initally showed Lupus symptoms 15yrs ago during pregnancy. It took nearly 2 years to feel 'normal' again. Then 2 years ago the symptoms came back....and this time I was diagnosed. My rheumy told me he believes I was in remission for a few years.
Shannielee74
~~~Life is what happens when your busy making other plans...John Lennon~~~

lupylisa44 replied to shannielee74's response:
Remission is when your lupus is not active and you are not on any meds. Medically controlled remission is when your lupus is not active. but you are taking meds for lupus. I have been in full remission with no meds once in the 27 years I have had lupus. That remission lasted about 2 years. I have also been in medically controlled remission which lasted 13 years. Both times, my doctor is the one who called it remission. For years, I have been told that lupus is a disease of flares and remissions. I believe that your doctor is mistaken or maybe he mispoke when he said there is no remission in lupus.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

ana1luisa responded:
HI, My ANA has been just above normal for years but I am oobviously symptomatic. My rhuemy checked a while back aand it is negative. Now he thinks I may not have lupus at all bbut some other kind of connective tissue disease. But yes yyou can go into remission Ask your doctor again. Plus I think its in Dr. Wallaces book "The Lupus book".

Dianalragland responded:
The same thing has just happened to me! I was diagnosed 20 years ago with a positive ANA and it was always positive. I then lost my insurance and haven;t been able to have extensive blood work for years, and just was able to have it done and this Dr. just flippingly said, oh you don;t have lupus! I know that's not true, I even had lupus lesions which were tested years ago too! It is really a shock!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.