Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CellCept and stomach upset
Lupylisa44 posted:
My doctor increased my dose of CellCept from 500 mg twice a day to 1000 mg twice a day and I am just not tolerating it very well. Yesterday after taking my morning dose I felt sick to my stomach all day. Then after taking my evening dose, I started to vomit. Not just a mild case, but full on projectile vomitting!!! I am almost afraid to take it again today!

I just called my rheumy's office to see if they have any suggestions

I have tried taking it with food but it doesn't seem to help. I never had this problem with the brand name, just the generic. I think becasue the brand name has an enteric coating and the generic doesn't. I bought some empty gelcaps thinking that may help protecting my stomach, but apparently it didn't help much.
. Does anyone else have this problem and, if so, what did you do to help prevent the stomach upset?

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

RJANU responded:
Lupylisa, I am sorry that when you finally feel better from your cold that your stomach is so upset. What is CellCept? Right now one of the only things helping my stomach is sourdough pretzels. A friend who does a imcrobiotic diet told me to try the sourdough. I am trying not to eat wheat but the pretzels do seem to sop up the acid in my stomach. This is probably horrible but a defizzed coke also sometimes helps.

Lupylisa44 replied to RJANU's response:
CellCept is an anti-rejection drug for kidney transplant patients that also works for people with lupus nephritis (kidney involvement) It is an immuno-suppressant drug.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000075/
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

K2isKsquared replied to Lupylisa44's response:
I'm sorry Lisa. Sounds like your body is rejecting the anti-rejection drug

lisaisweavebee responded:
Well that just sucks, Lisa! I remember them giving me folic acid to help with nausea when I took methotrexate. Did ur rheumy have any suggestions?

Hope you feel better soon!

Lisa

1stLadyDi responded:
Sorry, wish I could help with that one. I was just increased to 1000 mg CellCept twice daily. Oftentimes, I really get serious acid reflux. So, somewhere in between, I take my 1 dose of Nexium (usually in the morning) and it seems to help me throughout the day.

As far as I know, I don't have a problem with my kidneys or any other major organs at this time. My rheumy started me on Cellcept as a precaution as well as to wean me off of prednisone since my GP doesn't like the idea of me being on them & I was gaining a lot of weight very quickly. Of course, I couldn't convince my husband that I reallywasn't eating that much. Arrrrggghhh! Anyway, I'm not sure of how much good the CellCept is doing me. I have to get labwork every 2 weeks for now so they can ensure that its not harming me any. As for the decrease in steroids, my pain level in my joints seems to be more now.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Calcium and womens' mortalityExpert
Recently, some studies have suggested that Calcium supplementation is associated with increase in heart attacks and strokes. However, this ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.