Skip to content
Overactive Saliva Glands
1stLadyDi posted:
Over the last couple of weeks, almost nightly, I've been experiencing almost an insatiable itch inside of my esophagus that is followed by uncontrolled, excessive saliva being produced as well as lots of hacking. There's so much saliva, I'm having to have a cup or trash can by my bed to spit in (So uncool, etc....). This onset comes out of nowhere, often wakes me up at night, & lasts a good minute. Last night was worse, because instead of being clear, it was tannish & had some of last night's desert (Italian creme cake w/ sliced almonds) in it. There was some burning in the throat so I am assuming acid reflux was present as well. Any idea what this is or has anyone experienced it?

Lupylisa44 responded:
It sounds like what happens to me! I think for me it is an allergy to dust. It happens mostly in the colder months when I run my furnace. I now have a humidifier in my bedroom which helps a lot! Acid reflux can also cause what you describe. Do you take any meds for it?

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

1stLadyDi replied to Lupylisa44's response:
I've not gone to the doctor about it yet, so, no, I'm not on any meds for it. I am thinking it may be related to acid reflux, but I hope to find out soon. Thanks for responding.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
93 of 123 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.