Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Lupus vascular instability?
akmom3kids posted:
Just recieved results of brain MRI back. Results showed few small areas that may be demyelinating process or process such as vascular instability as can b seen with vasculitis, severe migraines,(which I don't have) and lupus. I have had many symptoms that mimic both ms and lupus that is why this test was done. Is it possible to have both? If areas are related to lupus what could these areas in my brain mean? I am being referred to neurologist but curious about what lupus vascular instability means And could that b what is causing my numbness burning and tingling down arms legs and hands feet. My left pinky finger always numb! I'd Appreciate any comments. Thanks

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
Lupus can cause many non-specific white matter changes and you are right that a lot of these may be the result of vascular issues. Due to inflammation, blood vessels may become permeable and leaky, additionally, blood clots due to anti-phospholipid syndrome (often associated with lupus) can cause white matter changes.

Often, it is hard to differentiate lupus from MS. A careful workup is required. This may involve an MRI of the blood vessels (MR angiogram), examination of the CSF (fluid covering the brain) obtained via a lumbar puncture and a PET scan.

These lesions could definitely cause the symptoms that you are describing, depending on the location of the lesions. Seeing the neurologist is the correct first step. All the best!

akmom3kids replied to R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR's response:
Thanks. Yeah my symptoms have become worse since I wrote this post. My circulation him legs have been pretty bad with left leg very cold and painful and difficult walking on. Both legs are very weak and cold and swollen. Doc doesn't think blood clot . It's really strange. Waiting to get into neurologist but looks like will be end of feb. having bad headaches and 4 reflex legs (abnormal per primary doc) Can't wait for this to go away! Got a 5 yo that needs mommy and been hard to even walk...I am usually very active so this is real bummer!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.