Skip to content
Surgery
shannielee74 posted:
This month has been crazy. Between the stress of a mentally unstable neighbor, extremely tight financial situation (bankrupcy filed too), holiday stress, and health problems I am ready for a break. However, my break is coming in the form of 6wks off work since I have to have major surgery. My ob/gyn finally decided that my endometriosis was debilitating enough to do surgery.....ie hysterectomy. I have been off of all pain meds and NSAIDS for 3 days now and I can feel it. My joints are getting really achy and I'm waking up in the middle of the night with pain. Surgery is on tuesday and will hopefully only have me in the hospital for 1 night. She is planning to leave my ovaries (unless there is too much scar tissue) so I don't have to go into menopause. She spoke with my pcp and rheumy and they all feel that HRT would not be wise given my Lupus status.
So that is how I am starting my New Year. I hope this helps to alliveate the pain I have been dealing with for nearly 3 years.
Hope you all have a great New Years weekend!
Shannielee74
~~~Life is what happens when your busy making other plans...John Lennon~~~

Take the Poll

If you've had a hysterectomy, did your lupus symptoms improve after surgery?
  • Yes
  • Yes, but it took some time
  • Somewhat
  • No
  • They got worse
vote
View Poll Results

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hi,

Sorry you are under so much stress right now!! Sounds horrible and so not good for you!!

I had a total - ovaries and all - hysterectomy 2 years ago at age 45. I noticed no improvement concerning my lupus. I had improvement concerning my abdominal pain and other problems that caused the hysterectomy to begin with, but nothing lupus related.

I hope everything goes well with you next week and that you're back home feeling better in no time!!

I'll keep you in my prayers!

Lisa

lupylisa44 responded:
Wow Shannilee!

You've got a lot going on!!! Good luck with your surgery! Hopefully it will get rid of your pain and it will be a good start to the new year for you!!!

Hang in there! I'll be praying for you!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thinking of you today! Please update us when you are home to let us know how you are doing!

I can't relate to lupus symptoms, but can to endometriosis, and understand how painful it can be. Can't imagine adding lupus to the mix. I have had many procedures and laser ablation. After many years of pain and infertility, I was "surprised" with a pregnancy at 40. Since then, remarkably I have had very little symptoms.

Hoping the New Year will bring less pain!

Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.