Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Alopecia & Hair Loss
dlrobards posted:
My hair loss started as the size of a dime. Over the past two years it has increased to the size of a half dollar and several more spots with hair loss. The way I notice new areas of loss is by a tingling pin prickling feeling. My dermo had never heard of anyone feeling anything with hair loss. Does this mean anything? Is it nerve related? I have been getting scalp injections to promote hair growth which has been gradually working by the area continues to spread. Any ideas on how to stop hair loss?

lupylisa44 responded:
Hairloss stinks! When I had hairloss, I too got the injections in my scalp. They worked pretty well. I also tried rogaine for women and nioxin shampoo. (I was in full overkill mode) I got very discouraged and shaved my head! Surprisingly it didn't look too bad! Eventually my hair did finally grow back.
Hang in there!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hair loss was one of my first symptoms of lupus. I lost so much I was scared I was going to be bald. Luckily, it finally stopped when they got the flare under control. I still have thin areas that will never grow back but I'm able to cover them up with the way I style my hair.

I think plaquenil helped with stopping the hair loss.

Lisa

lisatru62 replied to lisaisweavebee's response:
I to have hair loss that is very scary. I have a constant tingle in my scalp since I started taking the Plaquenil three weeks ago. I wish things would get better all around. My Rheumatologist says many patients see improvement in hair loss after they start the Plaquenil but it can take a while, up to six months.

I am also seeing a Dermatologist who gives me injections to help with the bald spots which are small and covered up. I am hopeful because I really don't have a choice. I was losing hair with the Lupus, a symptom of the disease, at least now I have doctors who are trying to help. Ask your Rheumatologist and Dermatologist about best methods of treatment.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.