Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prednisone Dosage
lisatru62 posted:
I'm having to have a kidney biopsy soon. I'm not too scared of this procedure since there shouldn't be any long term effects if done properly. What I am afraid of is dosing with prednisone if my biopsy comes back with a problem. Which it probably will. Blood and urine tests have been declining since the start.

My doctor says that it will probably be every other day but the dose will depend on what the biopsy says. I took prednisone for 9 days when I had shingles in 2009 (60mg to start) and I thought I was going insane, my husband said I was already there by the end of 9 days.

I apparently didn't tolerate it well. I would be interested in hearing from others who have been on prednisone, dosage, amount, time frame, side effects, benefits, etc.

Your input is welcome.

Lisa T.

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hi Lisa ( what's up with so many Lisa's with lupus??)

I have not had a kidney biopsy before - the other Lisa had one, though- so I can't give any advice there, but I was on pred. For 9 months. I started out at 60 mg. I was put on it because I had lost all sense of smell and taste.

While other people have had trouble with pred, my body loved it. I slept like a baby on 60 mg, was happy as could be because my joint pain went away , it brought my smell/taste back, took away the bone pain, stopped the hair loss, facial rash went away...it did a lot of good for me. My only complaints with it was the weight gain ( I still can't get the weight off! Grr!!) it did thin my skin and I was starting to get the round face. After stopping, my face returned to normal and my skin isn't as thin. Stupid weight is still around though .

Good luck with your biopsy! I hope everything goes well!!

Lisa

nancyj95 responded:
I don't tolerate prednisone well, so my doctor uses Medrol (which is a form of prednisone) which works great for me. Had to use the pred for a few months when the other was unavailable and just found it wasn't effective for me. Ask your doc-if it is only every other day it will be a small dose and you should be OK.
Good luck!

lupeylou responded:
I have lupus nephritis, too. The biopsy isn't too bad. You just have to lie still for several hours after.
Every time I have a flare (which is about every 5 years) I go on prednisone 60mg and imuran. I stay on the prednisone for about 2 years, tapering down along the way. They are not fun at all, but it beats the alternative. I gain about 40 pounds each time. After I am on them for a few weeks, I have about a month long bout with insomnia. I only sleep for about 3 hours a night and have so much energy.
Don't start too many projects, though, because it will come to a screeching halt. I remain tired and weak for the duration. I get depressed and very cranky. It is not the worst thing in the world. Just make sure your family is prepared as you are and that you have a good doctor. Good luck, you will be in my prayers.

lisatru62 replied to lupeylou's response:
I've heard about the weight gain thing, my doctor said that I will probably gain weight while on prednisone. When I took it before it gave me so much anxiety that I actually lost weight, I was a nervous wreck. Do people gain weight because it stimulates their appetites or is it a water retention thing? I've heard about it but since I've only had one experience for 9 days I'm not sure of all the specifics. My doctor also said it would probably be an every other day dosing.

Lisa T.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Vitamin DExpert
Lupus patients are rightfully told to avoid the sun since it can flare the disease. But guess what... by doing so you are setting yourself ... More
Was this Helpful?
92 of 122 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.