Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Lupus Pneumonitis
lupeylou posted:
Hi, I had a baby 5 1/2 years ago. When she was 3 months old, I started having trouble breathing. If I walk 100 feet or up the stairs, my oxygen would dip to 83%. Doctors tested me for everything, and eventually did an open lung biopsy. Nothing was ever found, so they assumed it to be lupus pneumonitis. I did high doses of prednisone and imuran for two years. During the two years, my breathing got better, but I was still way over fatigued and had very, very little energy. Eventually, a different doctor started treating me for fibromyalgia and I felt 95% better.

Well, that was that and I have felt good ever since. Now I had another baby 3 months ago and the symptoms have returned. I walk up the stairs and my oxygen dips to 80%. I get dizzy when I cough and all the other signs that come with low oxygen. Well, there aren't too many lung doctors in our area, so I was referred to a lung clinic at a larger hospital. They cannot get me in for a month and a half. I can't wait that long, so I need my family doctor to start treating me now. I don't really want to take the steroid route if there are other options. Has anyone tried different treatments? How did they work? Anyone used Oxygen therapy alone? Did it work?
Thanks in advance!

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
It is best to have a thorough work up again to determine the best course of treatment. In the meantime, supplementing with oxygen may not be a bad idea. I am glad to hear that you are getting a full lung work up at a large hospital. All the best.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.