Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Use of Imuran
An_243790 posted:
I have both Systemic and Discoid Lupus. I have been taking Imuran for approximately two years and it seems to be affecting my kidneys. Before taking Imuran I had not experienced any changes in my kidney. I wanted to know if this is just happending to me or if there are others experiencing this.

Take the Poll

Has anyone experienced a change in kidney function while taking Imuran? I heard that it can affect your liver instead of kidney but I have noticed a change in my kidney function according to tests performed at my doctors office.
  • Yes, I have experienced this.
  • No, I have not experienced this.
  • I have experienced problems regarding my liver not my kidneys.
vote
View Poll Results

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
Sorry to hear that you are having kidney issues. This is unfortunately a terrible symptom of lupus. It is most likely that the lupus is getting worse and needs to be treated more aggressively than just being treated with imuran. Please follow up carefully with your doctor and make sure that the kidney disease is controlled as soon as possible in order to prevent progression to kidney failure. It is very unlikely that the imuran is causing the kidney problems.

pamboyd31 replied to R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR's response:
Thank you so very much for your help.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.