Skip to content
OMG!!!
Hilltwins posted:
I am about to freak out...in the last month alone i have gone from having long, strong, and full hair to it completely changing textures to baby soft, fine hair, that has fallen out in clumps in three areas of my head. My hair is so dead now, its like I dont even want to comb thru it because its falling out at the root. Not to mention the chronic fatigue and aching that all came upon me suddenly. I am still waiting to be seen by a rheumatologist, but this is the scariest thing ever. I have lost about 15 lbs in the last 6 weeks and my appetitie is so small now. There may be some other things going on as well, but I wish I could get an answer on lupus because it looks like in the next few weeks, I wont have any hair. I'm going to go my derm to get injections which I have done before, but this is the first time the hair has changed textures like this and its scary. Has this happened to anyone else?

lisatru62 responded:
Sorry to hear this but I have the same problem. My thick course hair completely changed texture and began falling out. The injections are not working and I am hopeful that the medication will help. I have also lost weight but my doctors think it's okay. If you're not on medication you need to get on some, talk to your doctor.

Good luck

Lisa T.

lisaisweavebee responded:
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your hair. I went through the same thing. I always say thank goodness I had enough hair for 10 people to begin with because I would be completely bald by now!

Plaquenil and steroids helped stop my hair loss and a lot of it grew back in. I have a couple spots that never grew but I try styling my hair to cover them.

How long until you see the rheumy? Would your PCP consider a short course of steroids to see if it helps?

Lisa

Hilltwins replied to lisatru62's response:
Thanks...this is so frustrating...i feel so ugly, like i dont even know this person that I am starting to look like. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this soon so I can get the meds I need. I always thought I had allergy to the sun because of the hives, swelling, and pus that developed in my skin, but I always avoid it now. I didnt know it was a symptom of lupus until a few months ago, and with all the other things happening...its so scary. Im trying not to stress but its super hard.

Hilltwins replied to lisaisweavebee's response:
They were supposed to call me back with the referral and appt date, and its been weeks. I keep calling and yesterday i spoke with office manager, but i still have no appt. I think I may just go without one. I didnt ask the doc about steroids. I think I am going to see my dermatologist next week to get the injections and maybe she can help me. Because I also have the cold hands and feet that turn purple in the cold, the random rashes, and not to mention night sweats like crazy. My hair started falling out the same time I had the rash outbreak and the terrible aching. Ugh...so confused. Thanks

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.