Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
C4 Complement Defect can lead to lupus
Jalee_85 posted:
So I still have a low C4 the rheumatologist thinks that I have a chromosomal defect of my C4 causing it to remain constantly low but they will not search any further into this. From what I have read having this defect can actually predispose you to lupus all in itself. Since I have like 6 out of the 11 requirements ( I just don't have a positive ANA) I'm not sure how to get the doctors to take me seriously... unless I just want to wait for the disease to progress any experiences or ideas?

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
Complement proteins are a group of proteins that are part of the immune system. Typically, they are involved in the clearance of cellular debris as well as clearance of infectious agents. C3 and C4 are commonly measured in clinical practice.

Low complement levels are seen in active lupus and in lupus nephritis. Usually, these levels improve as the disease comes under control, and are often followed by clinicians treating lupus.

However, there are also reports in the literature of a group of patients who have low C4 levels from birth. This group of patients, have a high likelihood of developing clinical lupus at some point in time. The reason that they develop lupus is that there is impaired clearance of cellular debris such as DNA, RNA and other proteins, when cells normally die. As a result, there may be an accumulation of these proteins and a resulting development of antibodies to DNA and other nuclear components, resulting in lupus.

In your case, if indeed you meet six of the 11 criteria for lupus (though you should have this confirmed by a physician), even with a negative ANA, you could have lupus. Please see our previous discussions about the ANA test.

Jalee_85 replied to R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR's response:
Thank you for your answer! I went and saw an allergist/immunologist and he thinks my Low C4 is from a connective tissue disease. However, my rheumy thinks that I just run low.
It's very aggravating becaues the doctors don't agree with each other at all...lol
He did another C4 test which was still low at an 11 my other 2 test was a 12 and a 10.. even the lowest range normal starts at 15 or higher.
If I had no physical symptoms I wouldn't worry about it but I do have symptoms and seem to be getting overlooked.
I live in North Dakota and as of right now I can't see a Rheumatologist outside of the state so I am kinda stuck.
I am seeing a dermatologist tomorrow though and I am hoping maybe he can help me out some.

Steve84 responded:
Toxins are only factor leads to lupus, find more: http://immunoagresja.pl

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.