Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
surgery risk for knee joint replacement w/ lupus
Kmlanz posted:
I was wondring about risks related to knee joint replacement surgery in someone who has Lupus. I also hypothyroidism and sjorgens desease as well. I recently had to have an iron infusion due to being seriuosly enemic. I have been taking plaquinil for the last year and recenlty stared Cymbalata as well. I know there are risk in general with joint repleacement surgery and wanted to know if there are any added precausions I should be aware to make sure docs are on top of it due to the Lupus. I am waiting to get clearence for surgery from my internal med doc once my iron and RBC levels are good. Would welcome any feedback.

MsKmak responded:
Hi Kmlanz,

I have had 3 knee surgeries. The last one was a complete reconstruction. Several family member have had knee surgeries as well. Here's what I can tell you about my experience.

Each time I had significantly more pain than my family members w/o autoimmune diseases due to inflammation. One knee was horribly swollen for an extended amount of time but I honestly feel that was due to the surgeon. Still, the pain went away, the swelling went down and overall, it was worth having the surgery.

My mom who also has autoimmune problems experienced the same issues as I did. She chose to have both knees done. I wouldn't recommend this for myself because I don't think I could have handled it.

What helped the most was an ice machine which worked wonderfully for the pain and inflammation. Also, I think that PT afterwards is very important.

I wish you the best of luck. Every day gets better and I'm really glad that I have strong knees now! ~ Sonja

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR replied to MsKmak's response:
I just posted a tip regarding special considerations for lupus patient undergoing surgery.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/lupus-exchange/tip/40

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.