Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do you deal with pain?
Martine_D posted:
Hello everyone!

I would like to know how you deal with pain? Do you ignore it? Do you try to realy identifie the type of pain? Do you keep a journal of symptoms and pain in witch you quantify and qualifie your pain?

For myself, I realy have great deal of difficulty 'cause I've had pain for more than 35 years now so I dont pay attention to it. If it comes to strong, I just take a pain killer (dilaudid) and continue what I was doing. Since I'm in the processus of diagnose, I keep a journal (at leat I try to do it daily) of my symptoms and pains but it's realy hard to do it.

Martine

lupoid responded:
I understand completely. I've had many sites of pain daily for more than 30 years, and I hate it when PTs and other health care providers want me to rate it on a scale because then I have to pay attention to it, and there is nothing they can do about it that's permanent. Like you, I mainly stay busy and distracted from it. If I have to tune into it, then I feel it more, and some of it is quite severe, especially where I have nerves trapped from the advanced arthritis in my neck but also in all my joints. The steroids I take for lupus help reduce all of it by reducing inflammation, but I'm never pain-free. I get acupuncture weekly though to ratchet it down a few points and make it endurable without taking pain medications, which I don't take because I need to be very mentally sharp to do my job. I hate it when people want to give solutions that are like bandaids such as heating pads etc because they are not effective enough to make a difference and just draw attention to what I'm trying to ignore to live my life. I've also found that water exercise helps some as does sleeping on a waterbed for less morning pain and stiffness. in the early years, I documented it but now I no longer do.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.