Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
skin problems to sun
An_245090 posted:
im male at age 40 rash developed from head to toe,went to doctors then finally to dermatologist immediately said i have lupus, he took a biopsy off my chest it came back as cutaneous lupus. i was prescribed plaquenil and was given some injections, i became deadly sick after taking my second tablet of plaq. 200 mg. called doc. said take no more. but for the past 18 yrs. my forearms tops of my hands, ears. that has been areas that i got sun the most. i have gone from a cap to a hat, long sleeve shirts, but not always have my hands covered. even if i apply sunscreen and try to wear a t-shirt my forearms will break out in blisters, if i happen to be out in the sun for few minutes say talking outside after church my face is extremely sensitive i will look almost like blisters (just redness). i am fair skinned, blue eyes, used to have red now its graying and thinning. i have been given the test anti-something, i have had some come back positive for sle, but after visiting with rheumatologist who did all sort of test for other types of diseases everything comes back ok. but fatigue has been a way of life i was also diagnosed with diabetes at age 49. so i guess i have combination of reasons to feel bad. but the sensitivity to the sun is very troubling. i have complained to my wife about going into stores like walmart or any where with lots of fluorescent lights and i will start feeling bad and my nose and face will also look like i had been out in sunlight. very frustrating, i have almost got to the point that if going to stores i will wear a cap to shade my eyes, sunglasses would also help but im so self-conscious about things i feel strange during summertime when most everyone of the guys are wearing t-shirts, ball caps and i am wrapped up in long sleeves and hats and smell the sunscreen. i have bought the unscented but i can smell it, bought the kind that says goes on dry no shine, my face will still look shiny like new money. just frustating.

lupylisa44 responded:
Do you know about sunscreen clothing? There are several brands out there like Coolibar,UVskinz, Sungrubbies. Just google sun protective clothing and they will all come up. Much of it is very lightweight so you wont overheat in the hot summer. As for sunscreen, I prefer the micronized zinc (it's as effective as the white zinc oxide but you cant see it) I prefer to stay away from the chemical sunscreens because they burn my skin.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

combsme responded:
I Love Sunscreen clothing! try REI, Solumbra and Saturday Afternoon. These clothes have allowed me to stay active with my family, camping, roadtrips, etc. You could also try some sunscreen products meant for the face found in the cosmetic isle. they are often made to wear under makeup, so they tend to be less greasy. Even though you are a guy, I would think they would be worth trying. also, higher end cosmetic lines like Clinique have some nice sunscreens. You might need to apply it several times a day, since the SPF isnt usually as high. I highly recommend the Sunscreen clothing though. I wore it on a road trip from Washington (state) to Indiana last summer and I stayed quite comfortable. I also went to Hawaii! I never thought I would ever be able to do that!!! I just need to remember to suncreen my hands bettter, and maybe get some gloves... Also, a sunhat works way better than a ballcap, and can be quite sexy, if you go indiana jones style, or even a fedora. My hubby has started wearing SS clothes as well. I find his Ex-Officio (another GREAT brand) shirt (a button-up white shirt with vents to keep him cool) not only protects our fragile Pacific Northwest skin ( ) but is very polished and sexy. Embrace your inner "Vampire". Just add some glitter to your sunscreen. just let me know if you need any more ideas. The SS clothes Lupylisa has reccomended have really changed my life, and given me my freedom back. Good luck, dont give up!

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
I agree with the above excellent suggestions about clothing and sunscreen. Antimalarials such as plaquenil and quinacrine are excellent in preventing the skin complications of lupus. Occasionally, it is possible to have an allergist perform a desensitization so that these medications could be used even in people who have had bad reactions. Additionally, in situations where someone is allergic to one anti-malarial, another one with a different molecular structure such as quinacrine instead of plaquenil may be tolerated the person.

koolstew replied to lupylisa44's response:
could you please refer to some micronized zinc sunscreens that i could find that are good and what about prices. also would like to thank all of you for the responses and suggestions

lupylisa44 replied to koolstew's response:
Blue Lizard is a great micronized zinc sunscreen. My dermatologist carries it in her office. http://www.coolibar.com/05158.html
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Music Video Tips on Managing Chronic Pain!
My newest music video, hope you guys like it! HUGS and ?, JJ "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.