Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nopalea or Prickly Pear? Dr R. Do you have any insight about this?
LupieTonya posted:
I was up late last night and caught an infomercial about Nopalea. Do any of you know about this? It claims to help with
  • Muscles, joint and body inflammation — causing joint, muscle and body pain
  • Respiratory inflammation — causing allergies and breathing difficulties
  • Arterial inflammation — causing heart health problems
  • Digestive tract inflammation — causing bloating, cramps and burning
  • Widespread body cell inflammation — causing overall fatigue
I have read that it boosts your immune system. I have a problem with that because my Dr told me not to take anything that boosts my immune system because it will cause flares and/or make lupus worse.
I was wondering if this works....Dr R. Do you have any insight about this?

lupylisa44 responded:
IF it was an infommercial on late nite TV I am willing to bet it's a scam. IF they are charging lots of $$ it's probably a scam. IF they make claims that it is a miracle food, then it;s a scam.

http://www.healthhound.org/nopalea/

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

LupieTonya replied to lupylisa44's response:
Well I was hoping it was something that could help us. But at least I did not spend money on this!!

An_247273 replied to LupieTonya's response:
Really? If it is shown late at night it's a scam? That is a very shallow statement to make. I take Nopalea and it has helped me, and I have several friends that can say the same thing. The company is a Better Business Bureau company and they have a 60 day money back guarantee on all their products. Nopal cactus juice has over 270 research articles in professional medical journals (National Institutes of Health - not some 'community driven health' web site listing non-scientific opinions') stating its antiinflammatory benefits. I don't know about your situation and what your doctor says to do is between you and him. It takes a little more research than 'health hound' ... people believe anything they read on the internet. I think I will start a similar web site and make lots of money from the ads on it just to give opinions that aren't scientificaly based.

1stLadyDi replied to An_247273's response:
Was it really necessary to add the sarcasm in your post? We all are in this "struggle" together. I am glad, though, that you shared your experience with Nopalea. I have seen it's advertisements on some of those late sleepless nights and wondered whether or not it would be helpful in this condition.

TouchforLife replied to An_247273's response:
The Better Business Bureau company status you speak of has been REVOKED as of 1 Sept. 2012.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.