Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
traveling and lupus.
mars45 posted:
am a registared nurse and i do the travel nursing .. i was diagnosised with lupus 7 months ago. i have joint pain. hips, ankles, knees, wrists, shoulders, etc.. i am on plaquinil 200 mg twice a day. i am just wondering if cold weather makes the joint pain worse. i know that cold can. i guess i just need to know if living in a place that has snow makes it worse. i am currently living in texas and working in iowa for 13 weeks . and if the travel is harder on a person with lupus.. just trying to figure out if i should continue to travel or not.. any advise would be appreciated.. i know after working 12 hours i hurt.. and have difficulty sleeping .. thanks.. hope to get some advice..

lisatru62 responded:
Well your busy schedule and helping so many others would make me very tired, even if I didn't have lupus. You will find that things hurt a lot more due to the lupus and sometimes it's just harder to get things done. The cold makes my hands and feet hurt. Sometimes everything goes white and numb, but I also have Reynaud's syndrome.

I'm also taking plaquanil twice a day and 5mg of percocet once a day, usually before bed in case it makes me drowsy. Aches and pains are unfortunately a fact of lupus.

Good luck with your nursing it sounds like your doing something very good for others.

Lisatru62

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.