Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hip pain
lisaisweavebee posted:
Hey all,

Anyone know how common hip pain is in lupus in the absence of steroids? I have had non- stop joint stiffness for years in my hands, feet, knees, ankles.... But this hip pain is new. I have been off pred for a couple of years now so I don't believe it is related to it's use.

My right hip is worse than my left, but I have no idea if it's lupus related or not. You know, that's one thing I hate about this disease - its always a struggle to know what's the result of lupus or if it's due to some other problem... Grr!!

It's been hurting for a couple of months now....is hip pain treatable or is it just another thing we have to live with?

Thanks !

Lisa

lupylisa44 responded:
It could be your shoes! I always get hip pain in the summer because of flat shoes. I got some orthotics and it really helped!
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

yogogal responded:
I have had left hip pain for a couple of years. I especially noticed it at night when in bed. It didn't bother me a lot during the day, but it made sleeping difficult sometimes. I did notice improvement with it after my first Benlysta infusion, something no one expected. I have no reason to believe it is not related to Lupus, but not being a doctor, have no idea if it actually is.

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
Hip disease can occur in a patient with lupus in a number of ways, including inflammation of the hip from lupus arthritis, infection, avascular necrosis, degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis). Lupus itself can cause inflammation of the joints (arthritis), which can involve the hip. Infection occurs more frequently in persons with lupus and although infection in the hip is not common, it does occur. Lupus patients who have taken long-term cortisone medications are at risk for destruction of the bone of the ball of the hip, called avascular necrosis (avascular necrosis). Lupus patients can develop degenerative arthritis (Osteoarthritis) of the hip, which is a common disease affecting over 20 million Americans.

However, the most common and treatable cause of hip pain in my practice is trochanteric bursitis or gluteus tendonitis/trigger points. These are soft tissue causes of pain that usually occur on the side of the hip and the buttock areas. They happen due to the chronic wearing down of the muscles and soft tissues surrounding the hip joint when someone has poor posture or arthritis elsewhere in the back or lower extremities. Usually, they respond to massage, trigger point release, exercises and mechanical evaluation and correctiion. Corticosteroid injections can also be very helpful.

lupycakes replied to R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR's response:
Thank you all for your input. I have a doctor appointment in a couple of weeks - in the meantime, I keep the vicodin close by.

Lisa

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

StressExpert
There is a big connection between stress and lupus. Although it doesn't actually cause lupus, it certainly exacerbates it. An article from ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.