Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Lupus Diagnosis
An_246066 posted:
My 20 year-old daughter was just diagnosed with lupus. I am trying to learn as much as I can about it. Is lupus a progressive disease? I am so worried about how difficult things will be for her. She has two beautiful daughters to care for, ages one and two.

NanaJudy6 responded:
I have just been diagnosed with lupus but I am 60 years old..have probably had it many years. My rheumatologist recommended the site "Lupus Foundation of America" and I have found just about all I need to know at this point on the site.

There are many sites on line but as always be careful what you read. I have been seeing drs for over 5 years trying to figure out what ws wrong with me and believe me I have done my research and I have found the sites I trust the most are the foundations of american, webmd, and mayo clinic.

Good luck to your daughter and you..I know it must really hurt you to see her hurt. My prayers are with your family.
I have been a part of the Webmd MS site for over one year as the drs thought I had MS and I have to say that is where I got most of my support and information(from other people going through the same things I was--my lupus is affecting my CNS and my brain so I have alot of neurological symptoms) and I hope to find the same support and acceptance on this forum.

Let us know how she is doing..and remember lupus is different for everyone.

Judy

SafariMom responded:
So sorry to hear about your daughter. It is good she has a good support system like you in her family.

I have been doing a lot of research about Lupus, and having found anything that specifically said that it is progressive. Most things just say that it is different for everyone.

I am also not sure if your body is attacking itself all of the time or just during a flare. I think that it is just during a flare, because many resources say that you can put lupus into remission, and this is the goal of some medications like Plaquenil.

But it seems that side effects from some of the medications can be progressive into new medical problems.

It is so different for everyone because the body attacks itself in different ways in different people, and some more often than others.

I also have kids, 4 of them, :-0 ages 6,5,3,and 1. I am 31.

Good luck with your research !

SafariMom responded:
Found this link today that I thought I would share...

http://www.lupusny.org/about-lupus/common-questions-about-lupus

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.