Vitamin D and Lupus
SafariMom posted:
I kept talking to others with Lupus who mentioned that they also had low levels of Vitamin D when first diagnosed. I started doing my own research and found this link Very helpful. It basically says that Lupus patients should also be on Vitamin D to help with their treatment.

"Repletion with vitamin D should be carried out among SLE patients to prevent their suffering from becoming any worse. Thanks to the research carried out at the University of Oklahoma, it is evident that such a course of treatment is necessary."

Here is the link. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232288.php

Has anyone else heard of this before? Are there others on this forum that take Vitamin D supplements as part of your treatment?

If so what is the dose and frequency?

Thanks !!!

Bonnie

soulmte responded:
HI BONNIE ,
DUE 2 MY LOW VIT D DIFFICIENCY I AM NOW TAKING TWICE A WEEK - 1 VIT D2 1.25 MG ... (50,000 UNIT) .....
IM SURE IT WILL B INDREASED SOON , STILL GOING THRU TESTS !!!
GOOD LUCK 2 U !!!!!

SafariMom replied to soulmte's response:
Wow, your vitamin D level must be pretty low. What are/were you symptoms with a low vitamin D level?

Did the doctor ever say why people end up getting a low vitamin D level?

Do you have sun sensitivity?

Thanks for sharing with us your information.

Bonnie

nancyj95 responded:
I had been taking 14,000 a week and was still deficient, so my primary put me on 50,000 once a week. They will check me again in 3 months. I do know my lupus markers, which had been down were back up recently.