Skip to content
This just in - Supreme Court Upholds Health Care Reform Law
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
I thought you all would be interested -

This just in, The Supreme Court Upholds Health Reform Law .

I am a bit surprised, my gut was it would not hold up.

What are your thoughts about the ruling? How does this law/reform affect you and your family?

For more coverage -
WebMD Special Report Health Care Reform Showdown

Elizabeth

lupylisa44 responded:
Yay!
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

anowlin replied to lupylisa44's response:
I don't think it will help with preexisting condition coverage unless taxes are raised more. Annie

anowlin responded:
I think it's great to be able to say that everyone is covered, pre-existing conditions like lupus! However, there's only so much cash to spread around, so even with such a tax increase as this is, I only see that more care will be delivered to more people for less money. Quality has no place to go but down and that really concerns me; the people who need quality the most, people with pre-existing condition, won't receive what they need.

You can COVER EVERYONE, but that's a far cry from giving everyone what they want and NEED. We can do better.

lisatru62 replied to anowlin's response:
Like you I am afraid as opposed to elated. I'm not sure where all the money will come from to treat the chronically ill such as myself. I know that my lupus is expensive. Kidney biopsies, medications daily and an MRI every six months to monitor brain lesions are expensive.

I also understand that the medical money pie is only so big and the more people eating that pie the smaller each slice. While some of the concepts are good, (covering pre-existing conditions, no caps) healthcare is not free and regardless of content some people will lose. It will be interesting if it even remotely lives up to its supporters expectations.

Lisatru62

anowlin replied to lisatru62's response:
Lusatru, I like your pie analogy. The more people you have eating from the pie, the smaller the slice and with fewer people paint taxes, HOW is it going to be rounded?

I have some big doubts that I don't likel I like to give everything that comes down the pike a 'fair shot,' but it only stands to reason that more cannot be insured for the same amount of money and the quality stay the same, if not improved.

I don't have the money to raise my taxes (SSD) , and am chronically ill, so I know that my care costs a fair nickel.Annie

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.