Skip to content
Lupus concerns!!
An_246371 posted:
I recently had what the Doctors called a Lupus Flare up. I have never been diagnosed with lupus. Earlier this week, monday to be exact I woke up and my knee hurt. It Hurt to walk up the stairs. By the afternoon both of my knees began to hurt. I shrugged it off and thought it must have been all the work I did in my garden the fowllowing weekend. I took some advil and it seemed to take away the edge of the pain. The next morning I could barely move my wrists, I associated it to mild carpel tunnel, or It happens when I sleep wrong. I once again took advil. It did help, my wrists were actually swollen, I could barely bend them or move them. I shrugged it off and finished off my day. The next morning i woke up I could hardly put my feet on the ground and walk, my fingers hurt so bad they were swollen as well as my wrists and my whole body ached. I thought I may be getting the flu. That was until I went to the bathroom and noticed I was covered in hives. They felt hot to the touch almost a sunburn hot to the tough.. I decided to go to the local walk in clinic and they sent me to the ER. They did some blood test asked me about family history of Lupus. The stated my ESR and WBC were high. The prescribed me solu-medrol...Steroids. and scheduled an appointment for tuesday with a Rheumatologist. I am a little uneasy with this diagnosis. Can anyone tell me if these are concrete signs of Lupus?

lupylisa44 responded:
Hi and Welcome

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time right now. Lupus is very difficult to diagnose because it seems that no two people with lupus are affect in the same way.

There is no single blood test for diagnosing lupus. Systemic Lupus Erythematosis (SLE) is diagnosed using 11 criteria. If you have 4 out of 11 it is likely you have lupus.

• Face rash, which doctors call a malar rash, that is butterfly shaped and covers the bridge of the nose and spreads across the cheeks
  • Scaly rash, called a discoid rash, which appears as raised, scaly patches
  • Sun-related rash, which appears after exposure to sunlight
  • Mouth sores, which are usually painless
  • Joint pain and swelling that occurs in two or more joints
  • Swelling of the linings around the lungs or the heart
  • Kidney disease
  • A neurological disorder, such as seizures or psychosis
  • Low blood counts, such as low red blood count, low platelet count (thrombocytopenia), or a low white cell count (leukopenia)
  • Positive antinuclear antibody tests, which indicate that you may have an autoimmune disease
  • Other positive blood tests that may indicate an autoimmune disease, such as a positive double-stranded anti-DNA test, positive anti-Sm test, positive anti-phospholipid antibody test or false-positive syphilis test
  • There is a bunch of great information in the Tips and Resources sections of this board (on the right hand side) I suggest you check it out.

Educating yourself is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. The Lupus Book by Daniel Wallace is considered by many to be the best and most comprehensive book about lupus. That would be a good starting point. another book I really like is called Lupus Q&A Everything you need to know by Robert Lahita and Robert Phillips. I like it because it is very easy to understand.

Good luck at your appointment! Please let us know how it goes

Lupylisa
    With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

cpsiska responded:
    I am currently having all of these symptoms that you described two years ago. Can you tell me how they resolved?

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
    With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
    at work, or with family
    and friends.
    Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
    I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.