Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New throat problem and lupus?
Lupycakes posted:
Hi everyone,

I've developed a new set of problems and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it is lupus related??

Little background history: last year I had a mass ( not cancer) removed from my right maxillary sinus cavity. It had destroyed a large section of bone and I was sent to a ENT cancer surgeon at University of Cincinnati because the concern was it might be cancer and the surgery was difficult. Because this kind of mass/ thing has a chance of returning, I have to have regular follow-ups and CT scans. Because of the surgery, my nerves to the roof of my mouth and right gum had to be cut. They are growing back but are painful and numb/tingly feeling. At this point, my surgeon does not believe the feeling will improve.

My new problem - I noticed a lump on my right jaw line (same side as origional mass) back in February of this year. My PCP said it was a cyst but my ENT surgeon said it was a enlarged lymph node and ordered a follow-up CT scan. While waiting for the scan, I developed what feels like my Adams apple is swollen. Or that feeling you have when you get "choked up about to cry or lump in your throat" feeling. Driving me crazy!!

Saw ENT for results of scan: he said 1. There appears to be something in my right maxillary sinus but he is hopeful its just scar tissue and not the mass growing back. 2. That the radiologist couldn't get a good look at the lump in my jaw because of a large filling in the tooth behind it - but the ENT could see it on the ct scan and said he is sure it is a enlarged lymph node. He also looked at the scan to see if it showed anything in my throat- he said he could see tissue (? Not sure what he called it) but that there was something there that wasn't suppose to be there.

He went on to say lupus can cause crazy things (like that's new to me) and he first wanted me to try suppressing the lupus to see if it is the cause of my problems. My PCP started me on a 5 week taper of pred (just 40 mg. to start) but my throat seems to be getting worse. I think my uvula is swollen this morning. Not sure what to do. The ENT wants to see me back in three months and do a biopsy if I'm not better.

Any of you have any trouble with masses or throat problems? Could lupus cause just ONE lymph node to be enlarged? I would have thought it would have caused swelling elsewhere...trying not to worry but it is hard.

Sorry for the long post - hope everyone is having a pain free day.

Lisa

lupylisa44 responded:
Hey Lis-

sorry I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to let you know I have been thinking about, and praying for you!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Lisa -

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about this! I was trying to remember - Did you also see an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon last year?

Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.