Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is there a connection between Lupus and Atypical Anti Psychotics?
angie21837 posted:
So, I may have systemic Lupus (SLE) and I have Bipolar. I have had no treatment success with over 25 different medications used for Bipolar symptoms (like depression). The Dr's have been trying Atypical Anti Psychotics recently and they seem to make my mood drastically better. The problem is they cause painful pitting edema within two weeks of starting the med. The edema progressively worsens if I stay on the med. If I try a re-start of the med I swell within two days.
Does anyone know if there is a connection? What can I do? Thanks

allie_bf responded:
The only issue of concern that I am aware of is an increased risk of myocarditis associated with some of the drugs, particularly with Clozaril. Whether that extends to all of the drugs in the group, and whether the risk of that inflammatory condition is more of a problem for SLE patients, I have no idea, but it would seem likely. The important thing is to make sure that your two doctors (I am assuming here that the rheumatologist is not writing your Rx's for the bipolar medicine) are coordinating your treatment so that you don't unnecessarily stop your medicine, but that they are each aware of the possibilities of side effects.

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
Edema is an uncommon side effect of atypical anti-psychotics. You may be able to manage the edema by decreasing salt in your diet (salt contributes to water retention.) Avoid alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and high fat foods, all of which inhibit natural functions. Exercise regularly to increase blood circulation as exercise is a natural diuretic. Try elevating the area that is affected as gravity can keep fluids from collecting in the affected area and avoid a sedentary lifestyle.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

My lupus story
I was diagnosed with SLE and fibromyalgia about 2 1/2 years ago although I had symptoms for several years before finally getting a ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.