Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
can't take a deep breath!
leecat41 posted:
So I woke up this morning and now I can't even take a deep breath. It's very painful. It feels like someone is sticking a knife into my left shoulder blade and it's going all the way through to the front! Anyone else ever have this?
To do what is right is not always easy, to do what is easy is not always right.

lupylisa44 responded:
Yes, I have! It is probably a pleural effusion! You need to get to the doctor or ER as soon as possible to get steroids remove the fluid!!!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

leecat41 replied to lupylisa44's response:
Still the same today. Does that come on that fast? I was fine when I went to bed. Hubby is taking me when I get off work. I'm miserable.

lupylisa44 replied to leecat41's response:
When I had it, I was totally fine until I tried to lay down and couldn't! I had a very sharp pain in my shoulder. When I called my doc he told me to come in right away and I had a big pocket of luid on my left lung. Luckily mine went away with a burst of steroids and didn't need to be drained off.

Lupylisa

SHamm68 replied to lupylisa44's response:
Lupylisa44, I have been looking all over the internet for someone who is experiencing the same thing that I am! This is exactly what is happening to me. I cannot lie down at night without excruciating pain in my left shoulder that radiates all the way around to the front of my rib cage. I can't take a full breath when this happens. There is no position that is not incredibly painful. I can't even lie on my side without it being painful and without a smothering feeling. My husband has to help me get up to go to the restroom.

I was given a shot of steroids at an urgent care along with a prescription for methylprednisone August 2nd. I can function during the day, but when evening comes, it is a different story. It had eased off with the steroids, but now that the script is running out, it is coming back. When I press on my rib cage, it feels frothy underneath it (weird, I know, but true).

I had a chest x-ray, on Tuesday, but apparently it didn't show anything. I don't know that my family practitioner knew what to look for. I think it was a cracked rib.

I'm 44 years old and I was diagnosed with SLE Lupus a year and half ago.

SHamm68 replied to leecat41's response:
Leecat41, I'm having the same symptoms that you are except mine happens when I lie down at night. Mine came on within a day. It felt vaguely, achy and sore and then went full-on painful. Ibuprofen and Tramadol couldn't touch it.

leecat41 replied to SHamm68's response:
dr said it was pleurisy and said i had to go back to rheumy because ikve got some sort of neuropathy going on as well. it is very painful.

lupylisa44 replied to leecat41's response:
Glad you got a diagnosis! When do you go to see your rheumy? I hope it is sooner rather than later!!!

Keep us posted!

Lupylisa

leecat41 replied to lupylisa44's response:
Well, unfortunately, I just started my new job and I don't have any time that I can take off. I won't for another three months or so. I'm trying to get a late appointment but they don't make them that late. I'm trying to tough it out but may have to just take the points.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.