Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Different type of ANA test
wondergirl47 posted:
I do not understand my test results. Usually ANA is reported as a ratio, like 1:160. My test was reported as 3+. My doctor did not explain this well to me when I questioned him. He just said it's similar to the ratio reporting. That tells me nothing. Anyone know anything about this type of testing?

lupycakes responded:
Hi,

My ANA tests have always been reported the same way. I believe that's because some labs are starting to use a different method of testing. Here's a link I found that might answer your question. Hopefully Dr. V. Might way in on his thoughts between the two methods.

http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/48/8/1013.full

Lisa

wondergirl47 responded:
Thank you for your reply but I am still a bit confused. Is the ELISA method the one expressed as 1:320 or is it the IIF? Which is the newer method--the ratio or the single number? And with the single number, what is the reference range? Any light you can throw on this is greatly appreciated.

lupylisa44 replied to wondergirl47's response:
Can you call your doctor's office and ask them to explain it more clearly? I think it's not asking too much to get an explanation you can understand! Afterall, you are paying them!!! If they give you a hard time, Demand answers!!!

As a lupus patient you MUST BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!!! It is probably the single most important thing I have learned in the 29 years I have had lupus.

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

wondergirl47 replied to lupylisa44's response:
Thanks, Lisa. When I called, the Dr. just said the tests are equivalent and didn't elaborate. I think I will have to talk to him about it in person on my next visit. I have not been officially diagnosed with lupus--possible Hashimoto's and a few other issues. Still, do you know if the ratio or the other way of reporting is the newest method?
Thanks again.

lupylisa44 replied to wondergirl47's response:
When I was diagnosed, they used the ratio method and that was a long time ago, so I think the ratio is the older of the two methods. I couldn't find anything online about the "new" method even on the lupus websites they all cite the ratio ANA test,

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ana/tab/test

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new_empty.aspx?articleid=402

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lupycakes responded:
Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner - been gone for a couple days... When I saw the rheumy at the Cleveland clinic, I was told the number - not the ratio -was the newer way of testing. My understanding is the newer way might be more accurate as it isn't as susceptible to technician/processing error.

Dr.V ???? Please weigh in with your opinion.

Lisa

wondergirl47 replied to lupylisa44's response:
I have not been able to find anything about the methods other than the ratio either. That is why I posted. I don't even know what the scale is-- if it is 1-3, 1-5, etc. I think I just will have to ask my dr. when I see him, but that is not until October. I just think it is so strange that there is so little information out there about this test method.

lupycakes replied to wondergirl47's response:
Hi,

I just looked at my labs for the range - keep in mind that this range MIGHT be different for different labs, but it would be close:

This is from the Mayo Clinic lab:

< = 1.0 (negative)

1.1 - 2.9 weak positive

> 3.0 positive

Hope this helps!

Lisa

wondergirl47 replied to lupycakes's response:
Thank you Lisa. This help alot. I cannot understand why there is so little information about these new testing methods. Even the Lupus website still refers to the testing in terms of the ratio. As I am just beginning this journey, this is all very confusing to me. I appreciate your taking time to answer my posts. I wish you the best along your journey.

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
There are two methods used to test ANA's. The first method is by immunofluorescence (IIF) which is reported as a ratio. Usually anything over 1:80 is considered a significant result. The second method is by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) which is reported an absolute number or in the way you mentioned such as 3 . ELISA is increasingly being used because of the ease of testing through automation and no need of a skilled operator in the lab. However, the accuracy of ELISA testing has been questioned. Please see a previous post from me about ANA testing below.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/lupus-exchange/forum/2789

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Hives & Rashes
I was just reading your post about hives. Egyptian Magic is amazing! It will almost always take them. It also helps with the pain itching ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.