Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hemo dialysis and lupus
bcon1211 posted:
My daughter is on hemo dialysis for end stage renal failure due to lupus and her doctor is telling her lupus does not act up while she is on dialysis I need to know if this is true. Can anyone answer this question because my daughter is in constant pain and always sick to her stomach. Last night she was up all night vomiting and feeling like she was burning up if that is not lupus then what is? Please someone answer this for me?

Take the Poll

Why do doctors tell patients something which is not true?
  • Know it all attitude
  • Does not know all about lupus
vote
View Poll Results

lupylisa44 responded:
I am sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. Not sure if anyone here has done dialysis for lupus nephritis. I will look to see what I can find

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lupylisa44 responded:
Apparently the nausea and vomiting can be a side effect of the dialysis itself. You should contact the doctor to get some anti-nausea medicine.

http://www.parentyourparents.com/top-5-side-effects-of-dialysis-and-how-to-cope-with-them/

http://www.kidneypatientnews.org/treatment/hemo_problems_other.php

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/acute-complications-during-hemodialysis

Hope this helps

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

bcon1211 replied to lupylisa44's response:
Already did but some days are worse than others!!1

bcon1211 replied to lupylisa44's response:
I hope we can keep in touch I am having a real hard time with this and am not working right now. Taking care of her is consuming me but it is where I am needed right now. Thank you I recently asked the Lupus foundation in our area the same question and they are suppose to get back to me will let you know what I find out.

R Swamy Venuturupalli, MD, FACR responded:
Many of us have observed that symptoms of lupus seem to improve after a patient goes on to hemodialysis. However, this is not a universal phenomenon and in some individuals lupus may remain active. In your daughter's situation, she may be having a hard time adjusting to the hemodialysis; she may have a condition called gastritis, or a stomach ulcer. Other causes of stomach pain need to be considered by her physicians as well. Hope she feels better.

Patientofmanydiagnosis responded:
I appreciate that dr. R Swamy replied and I'm not posting the following to be in anyway against him and his dedicated help to this site but more so from the poll question posted. Most people in the medical field are lucky to have a full day of educating materiel on lupus. It is actually something very briefly covered since there is so much they have to learn about everything in general. I believe they were trying to pass that a little more training and detail go into lupus and other autoimmune diseases. For the students that may have skip class that 1 day is what really scares me but also reminds me to educate myself to be able to talk to my doctors at a similar level and at times even get a more genuine honest answers and solutions from them. I don't mean for this to be hurting in any way but only hopefully helpful.

cookee29 responded:
I can 100% answer this for you. I have lupus and also end stage renal disease and im on dialysis. You can absolutely have a flare while on dialysis. Usually the case is that are lupus will go into what they call a slow disease. Which is like saying that dialysis puts the lupus is remission.... However I can assure you that is not the case all the time. Find me on fb and inbox me whatever questions you have and ill answer all that I can for you. My name is laneta cookee perryman

bryannasmama53 replied to cookee29's response:
I was on dialysis 2000 to 2004 until a transplant. I cant remember if I had an actual flare, but I ended up with a lot of infections from the fistulas or grafts. You have to be careful no matter what for any kind of infection. I dont remember having much of a life then, always feeling rotten from the dialysis.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Blood Test Results
I found a useful website that lists various blood tests and gives the definitions and normal ranges for them! This website also has a wide ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.