Skip to content
Newly Diagnosed
mcousins2009 posted:
I was just diagnosed in april of this year after a battle with my primary care dr. I now have a rheumatologist that has placed me on Plaquenil 400mg daily. I felt good in May and June. July I had a flare in which almost put me in the hospital. Did 7 days of steroids and it cleared up the flare, but then came the pink eye and respiratory infection. I am wondering if it is too soon to throw a fit about the plaquenil not helping. I am once again in the middle of another flare. have the sore in my mouth, low grade fever and my favorite rash. I need opinions here, i dont want to be take as a pushy hypochondriac patient, but i feel like crap.

dozzi responded:
My rheumy scribe medication called hydroxychloroquine 200mg its helping me I don't hurt all over anymore ask your doctor about that med see what she or he says

lupylisa44 replied to dozzi's response:
FYI: hydroxycholoroquine is the same thing as plaquenil!
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

lupylisa44 responded:
Plaquenil can take several months to start working, so be patient! Hopefully, you willl see some improvement soon.

Pink eye is a very contagious virus and you will just have to wait 'til it goes away. Ask the doctor about the respiritory infection to see if antibiotics are in order. If it is a virus, then antibiotics won't work and you'll have to wait that one out as well.

Hang in there!

Lupylisa
With love, with patience and with faith, we'll make our way.

dozzi replied to lupylisa44's response:
oh i did'nt know that

buttorcup8 responded:
Hi,

Just so you are aware, the plaquenil is for your joint pain, it will not help protect you from viruses and infections. I took it for a few years, but it didnt seem to benefit me at all, so I stopped taking it. I remained on low dose steroids for almost 2 years and did a short course of methotrexate injections.(This helped calm my immune system down a bit) YYou have to take charge, who cares if someone thinks you are a pushy patient! Only YOU know how you feel! If you are not satified with your treatments or results, keep going back to the doctor! I know its frusterating! I have been sick since I was 15yrs old, I didnt get diagnosed until I was 26 (I am 31 now) The sucky part about lupus is that what works for me may not work for you, and what works for you in this flare, might not for the next flare, just dont give up! Learn to manage your days (Have you read the spoon theory yet? If not look it up, it helped me alot!) You have to learn your limits and how important good quality sleep is! Good Luck!

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
78 of 108 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.