Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
symptoms prior to diagnosis
An_248106 posted:
My twenty six year old daughter was recently diagnosed with lupus,but h has had several of the related symptoms for at least two years prior . everyday a new one occurs.Just yesterday , while at work ,her co-workers noticed she was having trouble forming words,then realized she was on the verge of passing out. After her episode , the all too familiar chest pains she has been dealing with for two years set in.Im concerned she may have damage to her heart .Is this a good possibility?

MaryConcordNC responded:
Lupus can indeed affect the heart, though it is not as common, I believe as other issues. Lupus can affect any organ in the body. She needs to talk with her primary care physician or rheumatologist and discuss the need to see a cardiologist. I talked to my PCP last year and he thought a referral was in order. I wore a heart monitor for 3 weeks, and went through some tests, and the peace of mind is wonderful after finding out the problems are not serious. So your daughter might get good news, but she needs to find out quickly. She is very fotunate to have such a caring mother who is there to listen and support her.

Featuring Experts

Dr. R. Swamy Venuturupalli is a board-certified rheumatologist practicing in Los Angeles. He is Clinical Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at Ce...More

Coping
With Lupus

WebMD's Day2Night will help you develop personal coping strategies for living with lupus – at home,
at work, or with family
and friends.
Visit Lupus Day2Night

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Minimizing steroid side effectsExpert
It is likely that most lupus patients will at some time be taking steroids to control some aspect of their disease. In order to minimize ... More
Was this Helpful?
75 of 105 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.